1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yogurt For Chickens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken boy sam, Mar 26, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Over this site, I've realized that a lot of people feed their chickens yogurt as a treat. Do they really like it? What's the purpose, just a treat?

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i wish i had a pic of the results of mine in the yogurt! [​IMG] they splatter it everywhere and on everyone else! i've been giving mine greek yogurt since it is the only one i can find that is 'real' with no added junk they shouldn't eat like the artificial sweeteners.

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] yogurt is good for their digestive system, probiotics,helps build up the good bacteria after worming or illness plus they like it. I like to mix oat meal (dry) with it so it isn't so messy

4. DADDYS HENS

DADDYS HENS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    maine
    oh my acing tummy (lol lol lol) if you have never seen such a sight try giving your chickens yogurt. AND stand back cause it will be a flying. I give plane yogurt once a month just as a treat I give a couple spoonfulls to each hen.

5. TeriNick50

TeriNick50 Out Of The Brooder

Quote:I also mix yogurt with dry oats as well as grapes, bread, apples, cheese and any other combination of things that sound good to ME.
    The girls get yogurt 3-4 times a week.
    I buy a large container (PLAIN - No flavor)
    They also adore cottage cheese - good source of protein!

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

When can I give my new RIR chicks treats; they arrived in the mail on Wednesday this week.

I have them eating out of my hand. I put chick starter in the palm of my hand and they come running, some jump up on my hand and quickly gobble it all up...especially the smallest chick.

The smallest of the 6 chicks does not have wing feathers like the others. This chick has brownish tiny feathers that you have to look very close to even see while the others have white feathers that are very apparent.

One is growing really fast! [​IMG] Has LOTS of wing feathers already.

7. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    They just love yogurt. Plus it's good for them. Good bacteria and extra calcium for the layers.

8. TeriNick50

TeriNick50 Out Of The Brooder

Boo-Boo's Mama :

When can I give my new RIR chicks treats; they arrived in the mail on Wednesday this week.

Since I never raised chickens before I think I was overly cautious about giving treats in the first 2 weeks.
    Looking back, I would've given them yogurt from the start, smashed bananas and other "baby" type foods.​

9. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    i never use to give my hens such a treat
    i never knew i could now i give it to them once or twice a week. i cook up a big bowl of oatmeal (4-5 cups cooked oatmeal ) add 1 lager container of yogurt plain some times 2, and 1 cup of flax seed. mix well and i spread it out on a large board . wil add scramble eggs also to this also cooked pinto beans . chicken hash lol [​IMG]
    i get 10-14 eggs a day from 16 hens i think not to bad [​IMG]
    wooly [​IMG]

10. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:[​IMG] Does your yogurt fly? United? American? [​IMG]
    Sorry, but I just couldn't resist

Jen

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by