yogurt

Quote:
When my chickens first saw the plain yogurt they didn't know if they should eat it too. Maybe like flowergirl60 put some berries in it or sunflower seeds. Something they are familiar eating to attract them. That is what I did and now mine love it just plain
smile.png

Quote:
When my chickens first saw the plain yogurt they didn't know if they should eat it too. Maybe like flowergirl60 put some berries in it or sunflower seeds. Something they are familiar eating to attract them. That is what I did and now mine love it just plain
smile.png

Thanks! I will try that

LOL if i didn't know what yogurt was and saw it siting there i don't know if i would try it either. Its funny to watch that one brave soul give something new a try and then start pigging out. Then its not long before everybody is fighting for position to get some or playing chicken run rugby.

I started out by introducing mine to a "starter feed/yogurt cake" cause they didn't really get into it right out of the container. I would mix two or three tablespoons of yogurt with with starter feed until it was moist throughout (you can even roll it into a ball the size of a nickel to handfeed). If I didnt have time to stay with them, I just left it sit in the dish kind of compacted and they "tore it up"! Now I just feed it to them plain (whether it be plain low-fat or plain regular) and they can't seem to get enough of it. I put a half cup of it in a dish and give to them right out of the container and the 14 birds I have will have it consumed in about 30 minutes! They absolutely love it. As with anything new, it seems they're a little reluctant at first to try this strange, new treat...but I also ran into that with mealworms. At first they just picked it up and threw it around, then lost interest in it until another bird grabbed it. Then they chased each other around when one picked one up and ran with it...then that one would drop it an they all seemed to lose interest. Then I decided to hold one between my fingers until they pecked one in half and got the juices... now they gobble these up faster than I can find them in tree stumps!!

wee.gif

Glad I found this. I tried giving my chickens some yogurt and they too just eyed is suspiciously. I'll try mixing in some starter and see if that helps. Thanks!

I've had great success with two batches of chicks. I fed it to my newest chicks at 5-days old and they devoured it. Tonight at 7 days old, I gave it to them straight out of the container with starter feed sprinkles on top...they went at it like champs. However, they seemed to like it more when I smeared a little on the side of the brooder box wall and they went nuts! I began to wonder if they seemed to find it more attractive on a dark background since they chose that over the yogurt in a white bowl. So I changed the bowl to a dark blue bowl...and it seems to me the white yogurt in a dish with a dark background makes it stand out more or something and they finished it. Bird behavior is quite interesting to observe, and sometimes you learn new tricks by watching their activities. When I smeared some of that yogurt off my finger on that cardboard box brooder wall, they were drawn to it like magnets even though they had a 2-full teaspoons full in the little white bowl I first offered to them. Interesting! I wonder if others have observed something similar to this with the way they offer certain treats or food? Hmmm...
hmm.png

My older birds don't eat it, but they never had it as chicks. I set a full quart of plain in with the chicks, and they eat it down until they can't reach it anymore. I cut the top of the container off, and they finish it. Thinking of mixing yogurt with the adult birds' favorite treats (bananas, watermelon), to see if they will start eating it.

Back
Top Bottom