Yokohama thread?

paris_r

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Nolanville TX
I didnt find a listing for these-so forgive me if I start a tangent thread. I am posting some photos of my 4, 2 red shouldered roos and a pair of white ones. I am wanting toknow if they are show worthy. of the white ones the female appears to have a cushion comb but the male has a very squat pea/cushin combo. with the 2 red shouldered one has a cushion and one has the more pea like comb -they are all 5 months old in the photos, the female is very shy, so I only got 1 shot of her.

roo 1 -doing runway model tail swish
88419_sany0047.jpg

roo 2 the more social one

88419_sany0050.jpg

88419_sany0055.jpg

88419_sany0043.jpg

white roo
88419_sany0034.jpg

88419_sany0052.jpg

88419_sany0038.jpg

white hen
88419_sany0072.jpg

oh yeah-forgot to ask, what is the comb they are supposed to have in APA? the Euro standard seems to accept two kinds, but i seem to get conflicting info when looking for American standards

Last edited:
i was wondering if they will express more colour as they age and molt, like mille fleurs do. but my biggest concer is the conflicting info I get about combs with the breed standard in America, and their actual combs, though triple ridged, are flat like cushion combs.

another question concerning colours-since there are so many alleles at play in the red shouldered-what would be the result of a red shouldered roo and a white female?

Quote:
sorry, not gonna happen...

Quote:
don't use America standard, use the european one.

Quote:
if you read the first link I provided you, you will find out that the breeds are way different to make them just a color variant..

Quote:
The APA standard calls for a Walnut comb but to me the ideal comb resembles more of a Cushion (cush) comb as seen in the APA description. From what I hear, the UK standard calls for a Pea comb and that a number of years ago some Yoko genetics were brought into the US from the UK and introduced into the US stock to get better plumage color. Therefore, many of the birds in the US have the improper pea comb.

From my last round of raising red-shouldered Yokohamas I learned that with good genetics, many of the white breasted birds young birds would get the proper white spangling on the red feathers on the breast at about 4-6 months of age. And this is the real challenge, getting the right spangling on the breast with the deep Ox Blood color on the shoulders and breast feathers.

Quote:
sorry, not gonna happen...

Quote:
don't use America standard, use the european one.

Quote:
if you read the first link I provided you, you will find out that the breeds are way different to make them just a color variant..

If you live and show in American you should use the American standard. There are many differences in preferences of breeds around the world, you need to stick to what is accepted in your region of the world.

Just a technicality, but if you have a Yokohama, that is the breed. If you have red-shouldered or white colored Yokohamas, that is the variety within the same breed. If the origin, type and makeup of the RS and white Yokohama is that different then they should have never been listed as a single breed.

Back
Top Bottom