Yolk color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paprikash, Aug 17, 2014.

1. paprikash

paprikash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Deep South New Jersey
    We have a variety of hens. Rock,americana,rhode island,silkies,leg horn,etc.... They are just starting to lay. Out of 14 birdsvwe get 2-4 eggs a day. Some yolks are very pale, almost white. We feed layena and supplement veggie scraps, lawn clipping and flock block. Also they spend about 10 hours or more per week roaming the yard. Other than that they have the coop 6x6 and a 12x12 covered chicken yard. Is the pale yolks because of age or diet? Should i be adding more protein or dark greens?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I think yolk color is based on diet - try feeding marigolds, they make the yolks deep yellow.

3. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I treat my chickens to a salad in the morning; Tomatoes, cucumbers, melon, blueberries, kale, whole heads of lettuce. Winter bring more corn, cooked rice and warm oatmeal with raisins. Spring they hunt for worms, in the late Summer they chase grasshoppers. This along with daily free ranging.The egg yolks are almost orange. Could it be that certain breeds produce less yellow yolks? [​IMG]

4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    My yolks are a deep yellow/orange. They get feed plus free range so lots of worms, bugs & grass :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by