Yolk? Hernia? Safe to cut?

tuagmus

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2016
Wausau, WI

I have a baby rooster who seems to have a extrusion from his umbilical cord area. I don't believe it is intestines? Tho he did hatch 2 days too early. I believe what is hanging from his umbilical is his unabsorbed yolk? At first I thought it was just excess umbilical cord, but as it dried after hatch, since I pulled him out, it got hard so I did a little research and read that it could possibly be intestines, so getting scared I wetted the area and placed him back in the incubator where it's humid and can keep the area moist. I read a few suggestions with pushing it back in and bandaging the extrusion. It doesn't seem like I can push it in. I haven't tried wrapping him in a cloth. It has been 36hrs since he's hatched. What I have noticed in the incubator that there has been many yellow yolk like leakages on the bottom of the incubator where this little rooster has been. My question is, is it okay to let him out and let it dry and clip it? Or just clip it wet? Or go forth with the bundling him up to see if he absorbs it? and if he doesn't what next? He's my only rooster from my hatches! Would be awesome if I can save him. Doing a lot of reading, it looks like his survival rate is really dim. Suggestions would be awesomely appreciated. Thanks! ~Toua Xiong

The temp on the thermometer does not display what the incubator temp is held at by the way! It's just that I was taking pictures of the little guy so the incubator was cropped open.

If he's gonna make it, he'll absorb it. All you can really do is provide food, water, warmth. Keep away from other chicks if they're messing with him.
If he's acting pretty lively and eating/drinking, he should be OK.

So does that extrusion need to be moist or can it be dried? Moist I would keep him in the incubator, dry I would have him in the brooder. Which is best?

Different chick same problem. Now umbilical area is all sealed up. It is internal instestines and stuff, but must be caught during hatch before it dries! Q-tipped it back into the body, held firmly and bandaid. Try not to use too big or too small of bandaid. Will be hard to take off after 24-48hrs and baby chick can suffer from it. Constantly check baby chick for poop that may not pass bandaid if bandaid is too big. Allow baby chick to dry and eat like any other new hatch chick. When bandaiding, keep in mind mobility of baby chick and bandaid accordingly.

What I observed with this chick was it was pushing too hard and ended forcing its internal intestines to push out in its not completely sealed umbilical hole. A lot of ppl say they are bound to die, but was able to save this one. Hope this will help many. Sorry didnt have bandaid picture as I wasnt anticipating survival.

Back
Top Bottom