Yolk looked scrambled when I candled

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
But, it had a live baby in it. I don't know why I pulled that egg out since I left all the others in that looked the same way, but I did.

I always crack them open to learn....well this was a doozy of a lesson. I felt horrible.

I was going to wait to candle until this weekend, but I went ahead and did it on Thurs. Day 6. ARRRGGHHHH!

I thought I had learned last time, when I waited until day 10 and it was much easier to do, but NOOOOOO.

Anyone else make a similar mistake?

jipjip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Another chicken raiser gave me this tip for dealing with eggs that don't hatch. (I've only tried this well after the 21 days plus some.

Dig a hole and place a large stone in it and then toss the eggs in - you can see what was in the eggs but you don't get splattered if it is a stinky rotten one. You can cover the whole lot with earth and don't have to handle it.

It is kinda interesting to see what went wrong. This season I had a batch of six that did not develop at all (maybe they got too hot or cold in transit) they all still looked fresh and did not smell bad even after 3 weeks under a bantam - amazing!

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
So was the yolk actually scrambled? If so, you can rest easy knowing the baby wouldn't have made it anyway. I have had a few develop with a busted yolk and they always die. Generally by about day 10. It seems they can start but not finish.

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
I am not sure if the yolk was scrambled. It was broken when I opened the egg, so it could have been from me opening it, or actually scrambled.

I should know soon if that is it, because I had several that looked this way.

Thanks all!

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Quote:Not me, because I'm a shining example of patience and a paragon of those who would never stray from directions, e.g., never opening the incubator the last three days.

I WISH!
I'd've had a lot more chicks hatch if... IF! IF! IF! If ifs were skiffs I could (we could all) go sailing.

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
The next time you have the urge to remove and open an egg that is younger than 10 days into incubation, call me and I'll come over and slap your hand!!
I did that once...that's why now I never throw an egg out until at least day 10.

tazcat70

I must be crazy!
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Kansas
My Coop
Thanks joebryant, good to know that stupid mistakes are part of the learning curve for hatching.

Katy I am putting you on speed dial.

Top Bottom