1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yolk looked scrambled when I candled

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazcat70, Mar 22, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

But, it had a live baby in it. I don't know why I pulled that egg out since I left all the others in that looked the same way, but I did.

I always crack them open to learn....well this was a doozy of a lesson. I felt horrible.

I was going to wait to candle until this weekend, but I went ahead and did it on Thurs. Day 6. ARRRGGHHHH! [​IMG]

I thought I had learned last time, when I waited until day 10 and it was much easier to do, but NOOOOOO.

Anyone else make a similar mistake?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    What was wrong?

I'm too much of a coward to crack open fertile eggs. Though I might do it this year... several days after they're supposed to hatch.

3. jipjip

jipjip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    New Zealand
    Another chicken raiser gave me this tip for dealing with eggs that don't hatch. (I've only tried this well after the 21 days plus some.

Dig a hole and place a large stone in it and then toss the eggs in - you can see what was in the eggs but you don't get splattered if it is a stinky rotten one. You can cover the whole lot with earth and don't have to handle it.

It is kinda interesting to see what went wrong. This season I had a batch of six that did not develop at all (maybe they got too hot or cold in transit) they all still looked fresh and did not smell bad even after 3 weeks under a bantam - amazing!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    So was the yolk actually scrambled? If so, you can rest easy knowing the baby wouldn't have made it anyway. I have had a few develop with a busted yolk and they always die. Generally by about day 10. It seems they can start but not finish.

5. tazcat70

I am not sure if the yolk was scrambled. It was broken when I opened the egg, so it could have been from me opening it, or actually scrambled.

I should know soon if that is it, because I had several that looked this way.

Thanks all!

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Not me, because I'm a shining example of patience and a paragon of those who would never stray from directions, e.g., never opening the incubator the last three days.

I WISH!
    I'd've had a lot more chicks hatch if... IF! IF! IF! If ifs were skiffs I could (we could all) go sailing.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The next time you have the urge to remove and open an egg that is younger than 10 days into incubation, call me and I'll come over and slap your hand!! [​IMG] I did that once...that's why now I never throw an egg out until at least day 10.

8. tazcat70

Thanks joebryant, good to know that stupid mistakes are part of the learning curve for hatching.

Katy I am putting you on speed dial. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by