1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Yolk outside of shell, shell inside hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lfoose, May 1, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Songster

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Hi,

I am sorry but I feel likie my computer is about to crash because it is running verrrrrry slow so I haven't looked up this problem beforehand.

I noticed today that the hens all ran to one spot in the coop so I went to investigate. They were eating what looked like raw egg. Our hen Bonnie was there, with a yolk soaked tush. So I brought her in and saw that the egg shell-very soft obviously- was still in her vent. I took it out and I also noticed it seemed like her balance was a bit off, tipping forward and droopy tail. She is congested. Clumps of yellow mucus? I guess around her nostils. What ever it is, it looks different than the mucus I have seen before.

This is also the bird that I had to treat with Cocci a while back.

I haven't seen her poo today and she doesn't seem to have lost weight.

Please advise.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Could the yellow around her nostrils be yolk?

I had a hen lay an egg a few weeks ago without the shell... I didn't know WHAT to do for her so I just kept my eye on her, for days she sat around looking really unhappy - and slowly she started moving around more and eating fine etc...
    She laid another egg about 4 days later - and hasn't looked back since!

GOod luck I hope your girl is ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: