Yolk Sac Not Completely Absorbed/Anything To Do? (cross post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Our very first ducks eggs are hatching in the incubator. They pipped yesterday and two have made it out just fine. I am being patient (now) and waiting for the others, not opening the bator and sitting on my hands....

However, day before yesterday when the first one pipped we jumped in when it didn't progress fast enough (for us idiots) and we intervened. Turns out he probably had another day or so to finish absorbing the yolk sac and he would have come out alright all on his own. (duh!)

The other two have joined him and it looks as if several others will be out before the day is through.

The one we helped has a small remnant of his yolk sac still hanging. There was quite a lot of it yesterday. We wrapped him in a very wet, loose, paper towel and he lay still and quiet all day yesterday, I really did not think he would make it. But, today he is up and lively, running around the incubator!

Will this bit resolve itself? Or do we need to do something? I feel responsible for the whole thing! UGH!

Thanks in advance!

Deb

You just learned a hard lesson. Hopefully in 24 hours it will heal over.
fl.gif

Please do not cross post. It is considered spamming and against the BYC forum rules .

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom