Yolk sack!!

Leah Bratton

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
I have this newborn that I think has a attached yolk sack. Can anyone inform and tell me what to do if it pops?please help!! 84C46144-5FDC-4620-9322-9980F0250B15.jpeg

Last edited:
The hardest and easiest thing to do is to put it down. Get a baggie and a pair of shears or scissors. Snip its head off and let all fall into bag for quick disposal. Sorry for the unpleasantry, but it does happen.

I can't see anything in the picture. If it were me, I would keep it separated in the incubator until the yolk is fully absorbed.
Ok thank you so much! I know the little fella has a chance and I didn’t want to have to end it. She’s doing really good already and it’s already a lot smaller

The hardest and easiest thing to do is to put it down. Get a baggie and a pair of shears or scissors. Snip its head off and let all fall into bag for quick disposal. Sorry for the unpleasantry, but it does happen.
I will not kill it it just needs more time to absorb it it’s already a lot smaller and doing amazing. Thank you for your feedback though!!

I love the compassion. I should have answered your question. If it pops many people tie it off with dental floss and keep the chick separated. Also, that chick will need extra nutrients for a while. We used to use an eye dropper and give them sugar water To keep their energy level up.

I love the compassion. I should have answered your question. If it pops many people tie it off with dental floss and keep the chick separated. Also, that chick will need extra nutrients for a while. We used to use an eye dropper and give them sugar water To keep their energy level up.
I’ve been Syringe feeding her probiotics to make sure she’s eating enough and she’s about as healthy as that other chicks the yolk sack is as dry as could be and looks as if it’s about to fall off! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom