yolk sticking to shell

TeaChick

Crowing
7 Years
May 5, 2013
Deep South
My Coop
My Coop
I searched here on BYC and didn't find anything about this.

I had a hen (or three) laying under my shed; there were 13 eggs by the time I found them. I washed them and put them in the fridge and am checking each one before I use it (by cracking it into a separate bowl). Anyway, two of them so far have had the yolk sticking to the inside of the shells!!!
ep.gif

What is that?

Why does it happen?

Is there any way that I can prevent it?
(I'm guessing the answer to this is not to leave them sit under the shed for two weeks. lol)

Are they safe to eat?

I searched here on BYC and didn't find anything about this.

I had a hen (or three) laying under my shed; there were 13 eggs by the time I found them. I washed them and put them in the fridge and am checking each one before I use it (by cracking it into a separate bowl). Anyway, two of them so far have had the yolk sticking to the inside of the shells!!!
ep.gif

What is that?

Why does it happen?

Is there any way that I can prevent it?
(I'm guessing the answer to this is not to leave them sit under the shed for two weeks. lol)

Are they safe to eat?

Maybe they just dehydrated?

When an eggs sits too long the yolk will migrate, that's why you are suppose to turn eggs before and during incubation, to keep the yolk centered. I personally wouldn't eat them, but there shouldn't technically be anything wrong with them except age unless it's been really warm.

When an eggs sits too long the yolk will migrate, that's why you are suppose to turn eggs before and during incubation, to keep the yolk centered. I personally wouldn't eat them, but there shouldn't technically be anything wrong with them except age unless it's been really warm.
I see. Thanks!!! =)
It hasn't been too warm, but no one laid under the shed today. I'll check again tomorrow. The eggs should be less than a month old, b/c ppl were working under the shed while we were building the new coop last month. But we've had a few days that were a little on the warm side (for here).

Thanks so much for the info!! =)

I am having the same problem with the yolk sticking inside the shell. My eggs are collected several times a day and put right in the fridge, the eggs in question were no older than a week.

I am having the same problem with the yolk sticking inside the shell. My eggs are collected several times a day and put right in the fridge, the eggs in question were no older than a week.
Are you eating them or trying to incubate them. I'm sorry I am misunderstanding what you might be asking. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hopefully I can help you.

Back
Top Bottom