Yolk still outside of body. To tie off/cut or not to tie off/cut?

cyfarian

Chirping
Jun 5, 2020
Maryland, USA
egg yolk.jpg
I put a tiny safety hole in her egg because when candled she appeared malpositioned. I noticed that the incubator smelled horribly afterwards. Later I could see that she internally pipped. After a 30 hours with no attempt to external pip, I made an external pip where here beak was. After 24 hours with no attempt to try to zip, I opened it up slightly where her beak was and saw feet. So I slowly fully assisted her hatch. I have done a dozen or so hatch assists, so I feel pretty comfortable with them. All the blood has absorbed, so I looked to see what the yolk situation was. While I was checking, the shell and membrane slipped off as she was no longer attached to the membrane. There was still some sac outside her navel, but because of the smell in the incubator, I was worried about infection. Her naval doesn't smell at all. I disinfected it with iodine (which it why it looks so dark).

I disinfected another incubator, fired it up and put her in a container with paper. I also had her drink some warm water with honey and ACV, and some water with electrolytes and probiotics.

I waited several hours, but it doesn't appear like the yolk is absorbing anymore. Her abdomen seems pretty full. I dipped q-tip in iodine and tried to push it in. I was able to get it in, but as soon as I removed the q tips, it popped right back out. I was worried it would dry out, so I also put coconut oil on the yolk sac (since it has antibacterial properties and is lubricating). She was alternating between resting and peeping. I finally got some terramycin antibiotic cream and applied it to the yolk sac.

It has been about 12 hours since I fully assisted her hatch. She seems much more lethargic now. She has no interest in food, and I have been placing her beak in the warm drinking solutions every couple of hours.

I have seen some suggest tying off the sac with dental floss, and some say to leave it alone. Can you please advise what usually happens in either situation? How long does it take to fall off on its own? Or, if I tie it off, do I cut it or just let it naturally shrivel up and fall off?

Is there anything else that I haven't yet done that will help her? Should she be on a damp towel or will that just chill her? I want to do everything I can to give her a fighting chance.

Here is a quick clip of her.

View attachment 2311114
I put a tiny safety hole in her egg because when candled she appeared malpositioned. I noticed that the incubator smelled horribly afterwards. Later I could see that she internally pipped. After a 30 hours with no attempt to external pip, I made an external pip where here beak was. After 24 hours with no attempt to try to zip, I opened it up slightly where her beak was and saw feet. So I slowly fully assisted her hatch. I have done a dozen or so hatch assists, so I feel pretty comfortable with them. All the blood has absorbed, so I looked to see what the yolk situation was. While I was checking, the shell and membrane slipped off as she was no longer attached to the membrane. There was still some sac outside her navel, but because of the smell in the incubator, I was worried about infection. Her naval doesn't smell at all. I disinfected it with iodine (which it why it looks so dark).

I disinfected another incubator, fired it up and put her in a container with paper. I also had her drink some warm water with honey and ACV, and some water with electrolytes and probiotics.

I waited several hours, but it doesn't appear like the yolk is absorbing anymore. Her abdomen seems pretty full. I dipped q-tip in iodine and tried to push it in. I was able to get it in, but as soon as I removed the q tips, it popped right back out. I was worried it would dry out, so I also put coconut oil on the yolk sac (since it has antibacterial properties and is lubricating). She was alternating between resting and peeping. I finally got some terramycin antibiotic cream and applied it to the yolk sac.

It has been about 12 hours since I fully assisted her hatch. She seems much more lethargic now. She has no interest in food, and I have been placing her beak in the warm drinking solutions every couple of hours.

I have seen some suggest tying off the sac with dental floss, and some say to leave it alone. Can you please advise what usually happens in either situation? How long does it take to fall off on its own? Or, if I tie it off, do I cut it or just let it naturally shrivel up and fall off?

Is there anything else that I haven't yet done that will help her? Should she be on a damp towel or will that just chill her? I want to do everything I can to give her a fighting chance.

Here is a quick clip of her.
Leave it alone it will absorb it and close and be ok just leave it be

In the new incubator, the independent thermometer I put in it said is was 95, but I felt her and she is cool to the touch and the air doesn't feel 95 at all. I cleaned out the original incubator and am heating it up. I have her under my shirt right now against my chest.

She looks dead, except for shallow breathing. She has no reaction to my touching her or moving her head.

Edit: her eyes are open, which adds to her looking dead. She did open and close her beak a few times.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, she died. It is terrble. I feel awful. Can anyone please advise what I could have done differently in case this happens again?

She is the first chick (that's made it to internal pip) that I've lost in the 6 or so hatches I've done and I hope she is the last because this sucks so hard.

I have no idea! I really wish I could have helped more! I have never hatched eggs before from an incubator, so I cant help much here. I'm sorry for your loss, and you did the best you could! 😥 Did you get any more babies from the hatch? You have been a fantastic chicken mom for her! Sorry for your loss, don't you dare beat yourself up for this, you did such a good job hatching her, and then being with her all the way:hugs

Unfortunately, she died. It is terrble. I feel awful. Can anyone please advise what I could have done differently in case this happens again?

She is the first chick (that's made it to internal pip) that I've lost in the 6 or so hatches I've done and I hope she is the last because this sucks so hard.
Awh I'm so sorry poor baby

In the new incubator, the independent thermometer I put in it said is was 95, but I felt her and she is cool to the touch and the air doesn't feel 95 at all. I cleaned out the original incubator and am heating it up. I have her under my shirt right now against my chest.

She looks dead, except for shallow breathing. She has no reaction to my touching her or moving her head.

Edit: her eyes are open, which adds to her looking dead. She did open and close her beak a few times.
What day was it on when it hatched or what day did you take it out of the egg?
It doesn't look like it was ready.
What thermometer are you using?
Unabsorbed yolk if the hatch was at full term could be from high humidity, pullet eggs or low temperature.

What day was it on when it hatched or what day did you take it out of the egg?
It doesn't look like it was ready.
What thermometer are you using?
Unabsorbed yolk if the hatch was at full term could be from high humidity, pullet eggs or low temperature.

It was day 21/22 (Not sure what hour I put them in the incubator and what hour I removed her). She was feet-over-head malpositioned, which can hamper yolk absorption. The thermometer I used was calibrated. But for the incubation, I used 3 calibrated thermometers. The last thermometer was just for the backup incubator to get her away from any bacteria in the incubator she hatched in.

I could have been wrong; the temp in the backup incubator might have been fine but SHE was cool to the touch but that is probably because she was dying, I guess. I think she had omphalitis based on the smell. I applied antibiotics and gave her probiotics, electrolytes and warm honey and ACV water.

Back
Top Bottom