1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yolk stuck on chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beth123, Mar 1, 2009.

1. beth123

beth123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    This is my first time hatching I put 13 eggs in the bater and had all of them hatch:One of my new chicks have dried yolk on its back how do i get it off?

Thanks
    Beth:jumpy

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is not yolk. They absorb the yolk into their belly (like where your bellybutton is) just before hatching. It most likely membrane and sticky from the wet white of the egg. Give it a few days and the sticky will fluff out and fall off. If you think you must wash it off make sure the navel site is completely closed over then use warm warter and hold the chick in your hands and let the flush of warm water from the faucet rinse over the back. The dried stuff will loosen. Don't pull it, you can tear their skin as this age. Dry the baby well and get it right into the warm brooder to prevent chilling.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Miss Prissy has spoke. LOL Seriously she does know what she is talking about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by