Yolks that won't whisk together for scramble and are firmer than the normal yolk

These eggs do that if they're the least bit cold.
In fact that is the main reason I keep a bowl on the counter for baking because they just don't whisk!
Question, not trying to be a troublemaker ....just curious.
But, are your hens fat?
Do you treat maybe a little bit over what the norm suggests?
That is the other factor iv'e noticed besides temperature, the more portly hens lay the majority of weird eggs.
The more svelte hens that either don't want or can't get treats lay more normal consistency eggs.

Your question definitely does not sound like you are being a troublemaker :) I don't believe any of my girls are overweight, in fact I am forever worrying about the opposite. I worry about the problems that can arise in overweight pullets/hens and try my hardest to do my part in keeping them at their healthiest. I believe this egg was laid in the middle of the night and did get partially frozen before daylight. This pullet has started to lay during daylight hours, thankfully, but it was at least a month of laying during the wee hours of the morning or late night. Thank you

Do you have a rooster? Could the eggs have been fertilized? Otherwise I don't know what would cause this.

Yes, some eggs are probably fertilized, but I'm confident this egg ended up getting partially frozen because one of my pullets was laying in the wee hours of the morning, before daylight. She did this for a while, so I will just have to watch out for this. Thankfully she lays during daylight hours now.

It's because your eggs froze or nearly froze. It has nothing to do if a Rooster got to the hens. I had that happen with an egg that I knew had frozen lightly.

I agree, but I didn't really know if the eggs I collected at first light were frozen or not, but apparently they were partially frozen. Hopefully everyone will continue to lay during daylight hours for now on, instead of during the wee hours of the morning, before first light

I purposely freeze eggs for later use and the yolks do this after they are thawed. It's as if they turn into a dry cream cheese consistency. The whites when thawed don't look very much different and usually cook up ok.
There are instructions out there for freezing yolks and white separately and one is supposed to whisk each before freezing but I don't bother because the recipe I'm using them for is one I can use a stick blender for.

Ok! Well thats good, i'd rather these not be chubby but they have other ideas lol.
What kind of food do they get, im particularly interested if it has added omega 3 acids iv'e heard that can monkey with yolk consistency a bit too.
Sometimes the feed here has it but sometimes not so I can't fully test if it is true or just malarkey.
Your question definitely does not sound like you are being a troublemaker :) I don't believe any of my girls are overweight, in fact I am forever worrying about the opposite. I worry about the problems that can arise in overweight pullets/hens and try my hardest to do my part in keeping them at their healthiest. I believe this egg was laid in the middle of the night and did get partially frozen before daylight. This pullet has started to lay during daylight hours, thankfully, but it was at least a month of laying during the wee hours of the morning or late night. Thank you

I just cracked 11 eggs to make a breakfast casserole and even cracked them one at a time in a small bowl to inspect before adding into the main bowl. They all looked fine. As I whisked them together, I noticed some yolk pieces that wouldn't mix well. I figured it was because my bowl wasn't quite large enough and proceeded to scramble them. The firmer pieces never did incorporate and I've found them throughout the scramble. I've searched Google and haven't found anything except for meat spots, which is not what I'm finding. One post from BYC came up and said it's from a good diet, but since there are no pictures, I'm unsure if this is the same thing. I don't know if maybe an egg froze and I didn't realize it or what's going on. I've got to get this casserole in the oven so I guess I will just save these and try again, just in case. I don't want to toss this many eggs. They taste wonderful. View attachment 2022602
I have had eggs freeze, and this is how they acted when I scrambled them.

Ok! Well thats good, i'd rather these not be chubby but they have other ideas lol.
What kind of food do they get, im particularly interested if it has added omega 3 acids iv'e heard that can monkey with yolk consistency a bit too.
Sometimes the feed here has it but sometimes not so I can't fully test if it is true or just malarkey.

My eggs come from 2 separate flocks. The eggs are all stored together and the only way I know which flock laid which eggs is for my green eggs, my dark brown (marans) eggs, and my silkie's tiny eggs. Otherwise, I'm not that good to figure out who laid what once I put them together. Actually, now that I think about it, I only have 1 egg from my "baby" flock that resembles the "big girl's" brown eggs, but I use them by the date they were laid, so eggs from any of my 11 pullets were used. With that said, the "baby flock" (25 & 26 week olds) eats Purina Flock Raiser Pellets with grit and oyster shell on the side. My "big girl flock" (not really big but compared to the babies, they're the big kids at 35 weeks old) eats Nutrena Hearty Hen and before that, they did eat Purina Layena Plus OMEGA 3, so they were getting what you what you thought, but to be completely honest, it's been a while since they had the Layena Plus feed. The "big girl's" also have access to Purina Flock Raiser and I always offer them grit and oyster shell. I hope this helps :D

Back
Top Bottom