You can call me Al..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by msviolaceous, May 28, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Why does it have to be the sweetest, most personable out of the group?

Purchased from a feed store (but not TSC), supposedly hatched 4/25. White Wyandotte. Sold as a pullet, but I'm having doubts. Loves to cuddle. darn it!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what do you say, is it Al or Ally?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Why are you having doubts? Wyandottes are not the easiest to see. Right now *I* see nothing that screams cockerels.

3. msviolaceous

Apr 16, 2011
    Well, I didn't want to say because I didn't want to bias the answers (actually, I didn't want people to agree with me.) The red flags are mostly by comparison to his sister, Peep, purchased at the same location, same breed (and my only two Wyandottes.)

- they both have the same amount and color of comb (that is to say, none.)
    - however, Al has just a little more thickness around the jawline that looks like wattles developing, or at least developing faster than Peep's.
    - Al's legs are thicker and brighter yellow than Peep's.
    - when they feathered out, Peep got fully fluffy right away. Al, on the other hand, feathered out more slowly and had gaps for longer, especially *gulp* on his back, between his shoulderblades.
    - Peep has a slightly fluffier butt and has some fluffy feathers on her thighs that Al lacks.

Plus the simple fact that Al is the most personable, friendly chicken and of course he/she/it would go roo. His full name is "Allons-y" (any doctor who fans in the house?) because if you set your hand down in front of him, he'll hop on and go for a ride.

It's really all my fault for giving him a name with gender-bending possible nicknames, anyway.

4. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    I don't know anything about this breed- but my first impulse on this one a pullet. Your info makes me understand why you have questions. I don't think you should worry yet. Whenever I have a set of chicks, there is always one that is dominant and develops faster/differently, is more outgoing, or gets bigger more quickly. They aren't perfect clones, so they can be a little bit ahead or behind each other. This is true even if they are all girls.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My Wyandotte pullet is always on my lap or on my shoulders wanting to be held no matter where she is at. Actually all my chicks are SUPER friendly. [​IMG]

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I wouldn't panic just yet. There's nothing in any of those pics that says "100% cockerel" to me and if you didn't have another wyandotte that is developing differently you probably wouldn't be questioning it either. My wyandotte pullet had a much pinker comb than any of my other chicks and bigger wattles. She was also the slowest to feather in. Made me wonder if maybe "Gertrude" was really a "Gerald" in disguise for weeks. Now she's without a doubt female and lays the biggest eggs consistently of all my chickens.

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Not so fast, I think thats a pullet. Almost sure!

8. msviolaceous

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Bonus question: anyone wanna take a stab at Li'l Buff, a Buff Orpington and the only one I'm still questioning? In comparison to her sister (Big Buff), she is smaller, faster, darker in color, more compact, and more assertive.

Li'l Buff bring the cute.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think they're both pullets- and very pretty ones at that [​IMG]

10. msviolaceous

Apr 16, 2011
    Just posting a follow up! The chicks are two months old now, and I'm happy to say I think you guys were right on target with them! I just took a picture of Allons-y on my shoulder to use as my avatar; check it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by