Mystery chick breed sex

MasterofNone

Songster
Mar 29, 2022
West Michigan
I picked up 15 chicks from the farm store and have questions about a few, but perhaps separate threads would be easier?

Anyway, this little fluffer is supposed to be a Mystic Majestic Marans from the feed store, sold as a sexed pullet. 8 wks old tomorrow. I have 2 MMM and one is classic black coloring of the breeds photos and no doubt is a pullet. But the little blue gray one is a mystery. 'She' came out of the same brooder and there weren't supposed to be other breeds in there, though there were other blues.

These are my first marans, so I really don't know what to expect except what I've learned here and there online. But the blue chick has a beard and is significantly bigger than most of the other chicks. So I am also a little worried 'she' could be a 'he' too. If so, he has a great chance to be the keeper cockerel, because of a great, somewhat standoffish but mellow temperment so far.

Thanks in advance for any guesses.
20230719_145218.jpg
20230719_135019.jpg 20230719_140209.jpg 20230719_135627.jpg

Looks like she is a mix between a french maran or quite possibly a brahma of some sort and a ameraucana! I don’t know what breeds go into a “Mystic Magic” Maran though.
Also she is most definitely a beautiful Pullet!

She looks a lot like one of my pullets. Mine came from rual king and was labeled as an olive egger Raul king uses Hoover’s hatchery. Hoover’s website list French cockoo marans X Americana as the breeding stock

I picked up 15 chicks from the farm store and have questions about a few, but perhaps separate threads would be easier?

Anyway, this little fluffer is supposed to be a Mystic Majestic Marans from the feed store, sold as a sexed pullet. 8 wks old tomorrow. I have 2 MMM and one is classic black coloring of the breeds photos and no doubt is a pullet. But the little blue gray one is a mystery. 'She' came out of the same brooder and there weren't supposed to be other breeds in there, though there were other blues.

These are my first marans, so I really don't know what to expect except what I've learned here and there online. But the blue chick has a beard and is significantly bigger than most of the other chicks. So I am also a little worried 'she' could be a 'he' too. If so, he has a great chance to be the keeper cockerel, because of a great, somewhat standoffish but mellow temperment so far.

Thanks in advance for any guesses.View attachment 3582278View attachment 3582284View attachment 3582285View attachment 3582286
That looks like my Easter egger chick
964F4A4D-1DB2-4A66-B7EC-CC374A46E231.jpeg
116518A1-3ADA-4366-B909-85B174B7A0EE.jpeg
my Easter egger has a bit of the maran speckles on the back of her neck but no fluffy feet

Thanks for the responses. I really hope its a pullet (surprise! :fl). We have enough hens for one more roo to share duties with our mature roo. It will just make it so much easier if I have to 'rehome' fewer cockerels. I really like this chick. Of this batch I think its the lovliest. As a little chick it was about the cutest thing ever. I will see if I have a pic from wayback...

Is the Midnight Majesty Marans/Mystic Marans strictly a Hoover Hatchery breed? That would simplify things, as well as let me know the source of this feed stores chicks.

5 of the other chicks were labeled Americana/Easter Eggers too, and frankly this blue one looks suspiciously similar except those feathered legs. I might wonder if she just got mixed up in shipping or something except the legs. It will be exciting to see how 'she' turns out.
20230719_160725.jpg

Is the Midnight Majesty Marans/Mystic Marans strictly a Hoover Hatchery breed? That would simplify things, as well as let me know the source of this feed stores chicks.
If yours were called Midnight Majesty Marans specifically, they're from Hoover, as it seems to be a registered name. I think there are a few different hatcheries that offer something like them (potentially slightly different mixes), but with different names. A hatchery called Townline seems to offer them as Mystic Marans, but says theirs are crosses of Copper Marans and Barred Rock. Mt Healthy offers one called Noir Marans, but says they are also known as Mystic/Majesty/Midnight Marans. Hoover's carries Midnight Majesty Marans. They all seem to be sex-linked, with black and bronze colored hens that lay chocolate eggs, and cuckoo or barred roos.

They're on my wishlist for my next chick order, so I've been shopping around researching 😄

Back
Top Bottom