You Guessed it--More chicken problems!!

May 9, 2019
Herriman, Utah
*internal screaming*
SO. Back again. Here's the situation.
I was doing my ladies this evening and I've been keeping an eye on my oldest RIR, Fire, since she has not been eating, but today she was eating fine, her crop was pretty full, etc.
I always put my ear next to their heads to check their breathing--hers was fine, but then she sneezed and sprayed wetness all over me. Yechh!
NOW. My chickens always have wet sneezes since they love playing in their water, BUT it's usually one or two explosive sneezes and then they're done. The liquid she sprayed on me was not water mixed with food, but (I think, it was rather dark outside) mucus. I checked her beak, and she didn't seem to have any running, so it could just be the dust from her food. It was pretty "powdery" when it dried.
HOWEVER, my Ameraucana Kokolo was also sneezing in the same, quiet, strange way. She's really bolty, so I wasn't able to grab her and listen to her breathing today, but she seemed fine.
They'd both been eating (Fire some food; Kokolo some clover) beforehand, but again, when my ladies need to get some food out of their noses, they usually sneeze explosively and then they're fine.
I heard both of them sneeze two or three times while I was there. Not familiar with respiratory diseases, but thought I'd post this on here.
Better safe than sorry. :hmm

They'd both been eating (Fire some food; Kokolo some clover) beforehand, but again, when my ladies need to get some food out of their noses, they usually sneeze explosively and then they're fine.
I heard both of them sneeze two or three times while I was there. Not familiar with respiratory diseases, but thought I'd post this on here.
Since they both had been eating, I would just monitor them for a couple of days. As you mention, chickens do sneeze sometimes if they get food/water, dust, etc. in their nostrils. Yes, most of the time it's just 1-2 sneezes to clear out what's in there.

With respiratory illness you will likely hear sneezing often - several times a minute and it will not really stop. Other symptoms would be mucous, watery or bubbly eyes, coughing, rattling or rales, difficulty breathing, lethargy, going off feed, etc.

You could maybe sneak out to the coop tonight and just listen to them while all is quiet. You could see if there is any raspy breathing or coughing. Hopefully, it will turn out to be dust.

Thanks all, for your replies. I checked them again and they seem to be fine, but I will keep monitoring them.
But I did notice that one of my chooks (Sirius, the younger black sex-link) may have bumblefoot. She got out and was tearing up the yard, and when I picked her up (I hold them on their side, don't ask why, it's how I've always done it) I noticed that the bottom of one of her feet was swollen. Or maybe it's just her foot; I've never studied their feet closely since they tend to kick at the worst moments.
Anyway, I was going to soak her foot in Epsom salts, and you don't want a wet chicken outside in late September, that presents a problem. I live with my parents, and since my ladies still have mites, they drew the line at taking the hen inside to dry her off. So I don't know what I'll do. :confused:

Thanks all, for your replies. I checked them again and they seem to be fine, but I will keep monitoring them.
But I did notice that one of my chooks (Sirius, the younger black sex-link) may have bumblefoot. She got out and was tearing up the yard, and when I picked her up (I hold them on their side, don't ask why, it's how I've always done it) I noticed that the bottom of one of her feet was swollen. Or maybe it's just her foot; I've never studied their feet closely since they tend to kick at the worst moments.
Anyway, I was going to soak her foot in Epsom salts, and you don't want a wet chicken outside in late September, that presents a problem. I live with my parents, and since my ladies still have mites, they drew the line at taking the hen inside to dry her off. So I don't know what I'll do. :confused:
How did you treat the mites? Those need to go. You can find Permethrin poultry spray or dust at Tractor Supply. Treat your hens, treat your coop too (clean out bedding, spray walls, roosts, nesting boxes, etc.) repeat treatment of hens and housing for a couple of weeks at 7 day intervals.

If you can post photo of the foot that may be helpful. She may have bruised it by scratching around. With soaking a foot, the water only needs to cover the toes and footpad, so she shouldn't really get too wet. A plastic dish pan works really well and you can have that outside. Dry the feet well and put her back. If it's chilly, wait until mid day to soak her that way it's warmest and she has plenty of time to dry well before nightfall.

How did you treat the mites? Those need to go. You can find Permethrin poultry spray or dust at Tractor Supply. Treat your hens, treat your coop too (clean out bedding, spray walls, roosts, nesting boxes, etc.) repeat treatment of hens and housing for a couple of weeks at 7 day intervals.

If you can post photo of the foot that may be helpful. She may have bruised it by scratching around. With soaking a foot, the water only needs to cover the toes and footpad, so she shouldn't really get too wet. Dry the feet well and put her back. If it's chilly, wait until mid day to soak her that way it's warmest and she has plenty of time to dry well before nightfall.

Scalex (not sure if this works at all), DE (which failed royally), home-made coop spray(kills on contact, but only on direct contact), I was going to try a garlic spray, then more Scalex, and if that didn't work, liquid Sevin(for the coop). I don't think there aren't any Tractor Supplies where I live, but I've been spraying with Scalex periodically. I'm definitely going to clean out my coop (again) before it freezes.

(She doesn't seem to be limping, so could it be possible that it's just her foot?)
I'll try to grab a picture as soon as I can. It just started storming, so hopefully it's short and sweet so that I can do that. If not, I'll take one tomorrow.
Okay, thank you. I will get on that. (Know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow!)

Get some Permethrin 10, it's a concentrate, it's economical and will make gallons and last you a long time. A large garden sprayer would work well in treating the housing and use a small spray bottle for treating the hens.
Most poultry mites live inside the housing during the day, they get into the bedding, cracks of wood, on the roosting bars, etc. Cleaning out everything would be just as important as treating the hens. Then you would want to repeat the process a couple of times to kill any that hatch. (mites lay eggs too)

upload_2019-9-19_23-30-44.png
upload_2019-9-19_23-30-56.png
upload_2019-9-19_23-31-5.png

Back
Top Bottom