You guys are killing me! Update on page 4

I say the first one (Hershey) is a roo. I am fairly certain that I see some pointy saddle feathers on that one. Cocoa looks to be a pullet. I have been wrong before though so this is just a guess from what I can see in the pictures.

Cocoa is a pullet.
It is on the fence for Hershey. Some of the pics it looks like a he, but at 6 1/2 months I would have thought you could see more rooster feathers. Could be a slow developing cockerel or a manly pullet.

at that age i say both are going to be giving you some eggs. if they were going to be roos you would see slinder pointed hackle feathers and saddle feathers and i dont see any. they do appear to be crosses though, probley with some chicken that has lacing. if they crow i will be surprissed

Quote:
Do you think both are since the coloring is the same? When would I expect a crow then?

Oh and Cocoa is definitely squatting. Did it 3 times for my daughter and then just now twice for me. Does a rooster ever squat?

I didn't read closely and was thinking the photos were of the same bird. However, the color on both is extremely masculine. Females don't tend to have those colors on their wings, and near their tails. It does look very much like a slow developing rooster, as the body type is a bit chunky too. Sometimes birds take awhile to learn how to crow, and neither one of those birds look very developed. As for the squatting it tends to be a female thing, but roosters can do it as well as a means of submission.

Last edited:
Their tails are different. I think Hershey has a definite roo tail. Cocoa's just looks ... weird and messy. Maybe bed tail? hat tail? Doesn't look as rooish as Hershey though. You will find out sooner or later though for sure. I'd just wait.

I have a Lt. Sussex that I have no idea. He was supposed to be a roo. For a minute he had two feathers that looked like roo tail feathers. Then they fell out and he looked hennish again. His comb was way more developed and red than the other lt. sussex I have who's the same age. But then it just stopped growing and she (the other sussex) is catching up. And I have other hens whose combs are just as big. He's 8 months old. No crowing, no laying, no nothing. But he's sweet and one of my favorites. It happens. And even experts guess wrong sometimes.

I think you're just going to have to wait and see. Sorry.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Now I am REAL confused cause they look so much alike! I mix them up unless they are side by side.

Lol, you're putting me on the spot and making me admit to looking at too many pictures of chickens. Once you get used to noticing the differences, individuals really stand out.

The first major difference between the two is the comb. Your rooster has a big bright manly one, and your hen has a half-black, underdeveloped one (she will be at least another month to lay).

The second major difference is the red feathering bleeding into the wing-bow of your roo. (this is the chicken equivalent of linebacker shoulders. Very manly trait). Your hen Cocoa has an even pattern, no patching.

The third major difference is the feathers sprouting on Hersey's tail. They're starting to waterfall over to the side and lengthen beyond the limits of what you'd see on a hen. Your girl Cocoa is not involving herself in any such tail nonsense.

I could go on, but it would make me sound obsessive, pointing out chicken freckles
tongue.png

Wow, Pele. That is great! I wish we could read that much detail on why on every gender issue. The color thing was very well explained and is something I don't quite get yet, so I really liked that.

Back
Top Bottom