You have to see this!

Southern Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
NorthWest Florida
If you want to have a great laugh, go to ebay and check out this item!
Here's the description!
Incubator, manual egg rolling dowels, temp/hum monitor
Item number: 260100442453

Incubator can handle approximately 12 chicken eggs or 20 quail eggs
Heat provided by lamp on top of box. Temp can be regulated by using a variety of different wattage bulbs.
Incubator can be used for a brood box once eggs hatch.
6 ventilation holes.
Included digital temperature and humidity monitor.
Egg roller dowels provide easy rotating of eggs.
Includes dimmer switch temperature to control internal temp to the recommended 100 degf. 100Watt bulb along with temperature control allows accurate temperature control.
Hope it's noone from here!
lau.gif
ep.gif
lau.gif

Uh....wow. Yea, um, there's no WAY that would work for eggs (as a brooder maybe) and there's also no way I'd pay THAT for it! I really do hope its not a member here. <looks around sheepishly>

You would be surprised - I hatched my first batch of eggs in a homemade incubator!

I made it from a plastic cooler, I put black felt as a lining and placed six duck eggs (mallards) in it. I placed a window pane over the top with about an inch or two of ventilation on one side. I used a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it and set it at a distance from the glass so as to get a 100 degree temp on the inside. I misted the eggs with a plant sprayer everytime I turned them. With the ducks eggs I had a 100% hatch rate (9/9) which is unheard of even in the most expensive incubators. My next two batches of chicken eggs were less successful (2/12 and 4/10). My version was a lot more work because the light needed to be constantly adjusted as to keep the temperature stable - but for an incubator which cost nothing it was worth it

At the time I was young (around 14) and my parents were quite surprised when they heard a peep coming from the cooler... they would have never let me try it if they though it would have worked! This is what started my obsession with poultry. Although there are scientific ways to incubate when it comes down to it its just nature and if a hen can do it so can a light bulb!

I have since moved on to commercially manufactured incubators that are usually more successful (although not always) but I always look back on my first hatches in my plastic cooler!
cool.png

When I looked at it I somehow overlooked the price... wow
lol.png
So not worth it! You could make that whole thing for $20 or use scrap and make it for free! I'm all for the use of homemade incubators but the point of using them is that they are cheap... not $145.00!!!

Quote:
You used a cooler, not just a plastic tub! Like you said, people make incubators to save money, not to spend a crazy amount of money!

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY!! If that thing sells.....I am going to open an E Bay store...and make them all day long for that price! LOL
I sure hope no one falls for that! What a PUNK for trying to get on over on some poor soul.

I've been on eBay for years, both buying and selling, and I've NEVER ripped someone off like that. Thought about it briefly...maybe...but done it? Nope! People like this one give us GOOD eBayers a bad rep. :mad: I could see that being used as a brooder though, but not at THAT price.

I priced it out...the Rubbermaid container sells for $5 at the Walmart down the street from me. The wooden dowel rods are about $1.29/each and theres two of them, so thats $2.58. The lamp runs $5.49 at the Farm & Fleet by me, and a good 125 watt bulb (clear) is $3.29, or $5.49 (red). The thermostat is about $5.00 at Walmart. That brings a rough total cost to make of about $16.36-$18.56 and if hes selling it at $145, he'll bring in a whopping 685-786% profit! HOLY CRAP! I'm in the WRONG business! Well, I'm off to watch an auction! If that thing sells, so help me, I will SOOOOO make like 50 of those! lol
tongue.png
(I'll just call them brooders lol)
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom