You know it's a hard molt when.....

tallyho

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
....all you got is one tail feather to your name!

66241_101_0710.jpg

I've got an EE and a BA that don't have any tail feathers at all. Aren't they just pathetic when they molt that hard? And why the heck do they do it just as the weather is getting ready to turn ugly!?

I up the protien in their feed to help them get thru it faster, do you do anything special for your molting girls?

lol.png
I have several rumpless wonders wandering around the farm right now. The rest look like naked necks when they are really brahmas.

I wish I had the picture I took last year of my Wyandotte going through her first hard molt. She was the baldest (live) chicken I have ever seen before or since. Yours may have only one tail feather to her name, but at least she has that one. Mine looked like she belonged on a grill.

Haven't experienced a hard molt yet. But I do treat my flock with BOSS almost daily, hoping that will help with feather growth and regrowth. I plan on keeping cans of tuna handy to up the protein then..when the time comes...

herefordlovinglady wrote:
yep it's hard with one tail feather and no head.

lau.gif
gig.gif
X's 2
yuckyuck.gif

My once favorite Barred Rock roo lost his tail feathers earlier this year and it just hit me like a ton of bricks MOLT, I thought the tough old hen in there plucked him or he broke it off fighting the fence between him and the free range rooster, but it was a molt, why did that not register, I still know nothing learning everyday I guess. He is my once fav because now I am liking my EE roo from the spring hatch, tame, keeps to within feet of cooped girls already, can not fly, barely can get to the low roost, not even the top of a drum, is that unusual ? I wonder now? Sorry I am rambling, but it is late, and you, this, got me thinking. I learned something tonight, thanks for the post. And when I notice a molt I throw a little cat food in the scratch for protein.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom