1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

You know it's cold when..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by xke4, Jan 21, 2008.

1. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    ..the snow squeaks beneath your boots and it hurts to take a breath. But it's no match for those water warmers that keep my water in the coops at a constant temperature. WooHoo!!! Even when, on the coldest day of the year, you throw a stick for the dog....release it at the wrong moment, and it goes crashing thru the window of the duck coop.

2. Jamie Lynn

Jamie Lynn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I really love the heated water buckets for my birds,donkeys and my other creatures.
    I have barn cats(what a shock) I have the really big water bucket plugged in for them,empty of course,they pile in on top of each other and stay pretty warm. It looks so funny:lol:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    this is from an old Calvin and Hobbs cartoon and is so true..
    "You know it's cold when your boogers freeze." Picture Calvin with his face all scrunched up and his nose wrinkly. [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] OH NO!!!!

We have the squeaky snow, with ice hiding under it.....

I've been raking the chicken run, they wouldn't come out with the inch or two of snow, so I just raked it to the one end... and they came out, and now think I PUT the white stuff all over..... no egg for me this am............. I'll have to check later again! [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I didn't think the buckets worked when they were empty ? ? and only turn on when the liquid inside reaches 34 or something degrees?

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    OH we know its cold when the COLD water from the tap outside - steams!

7. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    I don't use the buckets. I use the metal platforms on which you place your regular plastic waterers. They keep the water at a constant temperature.....not regulated by the temperature inside the coop.
    Wish I could run water in my hoses outside but they have to all be drained and put away until the spring or they burst. Right now it is 10F but it feels like -6.

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    OK, you know it's cold when you go to scoop your dropping shelf and the little round chicken poopy popcyle piles are frozen to the shelf. [​IMG] Oh yea, and they are all frozen in the run, to!

9. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    You know it's cold when your dad brings in the hunting dogs, and locks them in your room... We have four dogs in the house right now. Two are not supposed to, and three of them are big...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by