You know you have it bad when...

melissastraka

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hoquiam, WA
It is a beautiful day. Around 70 degrees which is very rare in Western Washington and what am I out doing? Digging for worms!
So, here I am on a very quiet day...2 kids at school, 2 out with Grandpa at the park, 1 at the gym and 1 asleep...not relaxing or watching my favorite TV show, no I am outside digging for worms! I am now covered in dirt and sweaty but my girls are so happy!

I had to include my "prize" picture.

23778_imga0324.jpg

I even called my DH to stop and buy crickets on his way home from the gym!

Wow, I've got chicken fever bad!

lol.png
Been there! And too every year when I'm getting my garden ready to plant my vegetables, should I come across a grub, I stop what I'm doing and trek over to the chickens to toss in the grub and watch them play a quick game of football. It never last long enough.

And here I thought I was the only one who had done that. Spent an entire afternoon once digging up worms for my girls.

I've told my boys that once the chicks get bigger they can go collect slugs and feed them to the chickens. I figure it will keep the boys occupied, feed the chickens and get rid of slugs at the same time...everyone wins, well except the slugs.

I always keep a cup with me when digging, planting or weeding in the garden. I toss all grubs in the cup. When I have at least one for every chicken in a given pen, I toss them the grub treat.

I'm very popular with the chickens. They call me - Food Lady
smile.png

Last weekend while we were planting and working on the fence I found a big fat worm and took it to the coop to see what the girls would do - Whoa! Once they saw what I threw in their run it was every hen for herself! They were fighting over that thing!

Then DD found a nice green cricket that I picked up (with gloves on hehe) and took to the girls... they were doing a happy dance to see me. Again, the chaos ensued and I was proud of my little banty girl that snuck in between the standards and stole it right from under their beaks.

Ahhh... playing, "I wonder what my hens will eat" was a nice way to spend the day.
big_smile.png

My girls have figured out about worms too, and now they are so close to us as we garden that they often see and slurp down critters before we even notice that there's a critter to be slurped.

We're in worm protection mode some days. I swear, they're going to eat them all otherwise!

Here is my update...I called my DH to stop and get crickets from the pet store and some mealworms for my brooder bunch and he refused! I thought he just didnt want to take the time to stop but he told me he hates the sound in the bag
lau.gif
So, I went and got them, like 1/2 a bag full...then of course let them go and it was a free for all. funniest thing i have saw in a while. I am getting some more today from a friend who actually works in a feed store so she is going to bring me the leftovers every couple of days for free!!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom