You know you have it bad when...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by melissastraka, Apr 6, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    It is a beautiful day. Around 70 degrees which is very rare in Western Washington and what am I out doing? Digging for worms!
    So, here I am on a very quiet day...2 kids at school, 2 out with Grandpa at the park, 1 at the gym and 1 asleep...not relaxing or watching my favorite TV show, no I am outside digging for worms! I am now covered in dirt and sweaty but my girls are so happy!

I had to include my "prize" picture.

[​IMG]

I even called my DH to stop and buy crickets on his way home from the gym!

Wow, I've got chicken fever bad!

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Been there! And too every year when I'm getting my garden ready to plant my vegetables, should I come across a grub, I stop what I'm doing and trek over to the chickens to toss in the grub and watch them play a quick game of football. It never last long enough.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    And here I thought I was the only one who had done that. Spent an entire afternoon once digging up worms for my girls.

4. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    My girls run after me when they see me with the shovel

5. finnleyjo

finnleyjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    I've told my boys that once the chicks get bigger they can go collect slugs and feed them to the chickens. I figure it will keep the boys occupied, feed the chickens and get rid of slugs at the same time...everyone wins, well except the slugs.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have dug grubs out of my compost piles and given the grubs to my birds.

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I always keep a cup with me when digging, planting or weeding in the garden. I toss all grubs in the cup. When I have at least one for every chicken in a given pen, I toss them the grub treat.

I'm very popular with the chickens. They call me - Food Lady [​IMG]

8. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Last weekend while we were planting and working on the fence I found a big fat worm and took it to the coop to see what the girls would do - Whoa! Once they saw what I threw in their run it was every hen for herself! They were fighting over that thing!

Then DD found a nice green cricket that I picked up (with gloves on hehe) and took to the girls... they were doing a happy dance to see me. Again, the chaos ensued and I was proud of my little banty girl that snuck in between the standards and stole it right from under their beaks.

Ahhh... playing, "I wonder what my hens will eat" was a nice way to spend the day. [​IMG]

9. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    My girls have figured out about worms too, and now they are so close to us as we garden that they often see and slurp down critters before we even notice that there's a critter to be slurped.

We're in worm protection mode some days. I swear, they're going to eat them all otherwise!

10. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Here is my update...I called my DH to stop and get crickets from the pet store and some mealworms for my brooder bunch and he refused! I thought he just didnt want to take the time to stop but he told me he hates the sound in the bag [​IMG] So, I went and got them, like 1/2 a bag full...then of course let them go and it was a free for all. funniest thing i have saw in a while. I am getting some more today from a friend who actually works in a feed store so she is going to bring me the leftovers every couple of days for free!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by