You Know Your Chicks Have Outgrown Their Brooder When.......;)

CitySilkies88

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
NE Ohio
Three chicks come walking across your living room LOL.

My girls are over two weeks old (will be three weeks on monday) and oh boy are they showing it! I knew I would have to expand their brooder this weekend because they are not happy if the lid is on and they can't get out of their current brooder. They like to get out and have the extra space in the mudroom.

So they are going to be moved into a larger box this week. Just until I get a large old wire dog crate cleaned up and put together for their final brooder weeks.

If it's not too cold by you you can move them outside soon. My chicks also get antsy when they're about that age.

I wish the weather was nice enough that I could take them outside. But it's only in the high 40s here today. And it's not looking like it is going to get any warmer over the next couple of weeks. Stupid Ohio weather. The week I got them we had weather in the 80s lol.

I know the feeling. Sounds like I got mine about the same time you got yours! I'm in Ohio too. I wish it would just warm up because mine are doing some serious flapping and I'm petrified they are going to flap themselves up into the heat lamp!

I don't know if chickens get mad, but I tried to move my two week old chicks to a bigger brooder last night and they were pecking the sides and chirping loudly until I put them back in the smaller container. Now they are "happy" jumping up in the side checking out the world around them. Oh well, I guess I'll try again next week.

Back
Top Bottom