You think this will work?

Jan 1, 2022
One of my ducks was limping so I checked her feet. There was a small brown scab on a bump a little smaller than a pea on the bottom of her foot. Pictures I checked online convinced me of bumblefoot.

I soaked her in Epsom salts and then tried to remove the plug, but found it seemed to be shallow scab. I used an Exacto knife to loosen the edges and then was able to peel it away. It bled slightly. I squeezed but could find no indication of a kernel inside, so I decided to disinfect it, cover it with antibiotic ointment, and then bandage it. I was thinking that I'd check it, clean it, and rebandage tomorrow.

Could it be that this is a mild case and what I'm doing will work? Or is it more likely that I have just failed miserably? Sorry, I didn't think to get pictures, but I may get one tomorrow when I rebandage.

Thanks.

Bumblefoot should heal up within a few weeks, and you’re doing a great job! Pictures would be good, but it sounds like you’ve got things under control. Best of luck!

Bumblefoot should heal up within a few weeks, and you’re doing a great job! Pictures would be good, but it sounds like you’ve got things under control. Best of luck! It's my first year with anything but dogs, so I definitely need to run things by the folks here.

Bumblefoot should heal up within a few weeks, and you’re doing a great job! Pictures would be good, but it sounds like you’ve got things under control. Best of luck!

I took the bandage off to check it. The mark near her middle toe is where I took the scab off. The larger bump on one side did not look to be an issue yesterday. I think it may be peeling because of the moisture from antibiotic ointment and bandaging, but I'm not sure. How do you think this foot looks?

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_165550380.jpg
    IMG_20230424_165550380.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 2
I took the bandage off to check it. The mark near her middle toe is where I took the scab off. The larger bump on one side did not look to be an issue yesterday. I think it may be peeling because of the moisture from antibiotic ointment and bandaging, but I'm not sure. How do you think this foot looks?
Hey! I saw your post a while ago about your duck with possible bumble foot. My ducks don’t have it but always like to educated myself with “what if’s.” Im constantly scouring the ground for anything shape but I wanted to know how yours turned out? Let me know, thanks!

I ended up having to remove infection a second time. It looks much better now and I'll probably remove the bandage for good this evening. It took about ten days to heal after the second effort.

I ended up having to remove infection a second time. It looks much better now and I'll probably remove the bandage for good this evening. It took about ten days to heal after the second effort.
Nice! Did you end up having to keep her separate from everyone else or did she just wear the bandage outside?

Back
Top Bottom