You will love this

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omran, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello, Since last june I have been working as a trashman for a big construction company, which happens to build a big supermarket locally. So, last month they started putting up the new freezers and other equipment on the floor, and lucky me they told me I can have all the wood left over from the equipment. Well guess what [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ... now I have enough 2x4 and old paletts to build a huge Barn, so my chickens might get a new extreme make-over chickens house edition.
    You will be surprised how much they throw away on this commercial Jobs- OH my GOD , I hate wasting building Materials.

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Wow! Good for you! Sounds like you made a MAJOR haul. Can't wait to see the "Makeover". [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That is excellent! Congrats on getting barn building materials for free!

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well as soosn as I start my project in spring I promise to post a lot of pictures of the new coop.[​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Score! [​IMG]

Imp

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    that is great!!! you will have to post pics when its all done!!

My Dh works for a construction company and they too throw away tons of stuff so DH asked about it and they told him anything he wants he can take before its loaded for the dump. at the end of their local work site they brought home several trucks of 4x4's, 2x4's, bricks, and even bags of ready mix cement, road construction cloth which is great.

we made out like bandits this fall.

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Please don't wait until it's done to get up pics....please [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    [​IMG] I am sooo happy for you [​IMG] I completely understand your excitement, for some reason I'm also excited too [​IMG]
    Wishing you good luck

9. libertychicken

libertychicken Out Of The Brooder

Construction waste is SO massive and SUCH a shame - it's wonderful when resourceful people can put that "waste" to good use - can't wait to see your coop!

10. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    you're so very lucky. You'll be saving tonnes of money and I'm sure your chickens are going to be so thrilled. Hey, that means you might even have more space to get MORE chickens... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by