You Wont Believe This!

Missmillie, you have been lucky. I'm on the other side of the river, but I have seen fox, raccoons, coyotes, opossums on the outskirts of Trenton. I didn't even bother mentioning GHO which will enter your coop after dark. Whatevet you did with the predator, it was your choice and therefore the right choice. Lock your coop tonight.
lol.png
It's supposed to be stormy and the predators will be hunting.

Quote:
Obviously you are not familiar with opossums...at least the ones I know...they have a prehensile tail and if you carried them by the tail, they are more than likely to latch onto your hand or arm with their teeth for added stability...or maybe if you happened upon a mean one, he may even rake your forearm with his back legs, similar to a cat. If you were inclined to relocate the opossum it should be controlled from the scruff of the neck similar to cats and dogs. Personally I would dispatch it. Once one finds a source of food, not only will they return, they will bring their friends.

I have a right to say what my opinion is as much as anyone else, and we all know the saying, "Opinions are like @$$ holes, everybody has one."

No opossums deciding to take up close residence on my property will get out of it alive. I have horses that I love dearly that outweighs anyone's offended "sensibilities" about the death of a carion eater.

See the link below BEFORE you answer me to understand WHY I feel this way. A friend of mine had a Haflinger mare destroyed by this, and my own mare sweet Walking horse mare is showing symptoms of this now. A possum over them? Not likely. They show, they are dead meat.

Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) - nerve paralysis

http://www.zoologix.com/horse/Datasheets/EquineProtozoalMyeloencephalitis.htm

It's a baby. I see one now and then on my property. It only means there's a mamma and a brood in the area.

I had a problem with Oppossums on my property. Two went to possum heaven, the third got released about 5 miles up the road. If it comes back, it wont be released again, at least not physically. I have a couple dozen bales of hay that is ruined now because of them using the bathroom on it and my horse wont eat it. Luckily, they did not bother my hens but that was my main concern. We have alot of predators around here, possums, coyotes, fox, and several neighborhood dogs, plus hawks, so Im not taking any chances.

Rammy

That is probrobly the wierdest thing I've ever heard in my life,
ep.gif

I'm glad that your hen's were alll right,
I hope that it never happens again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Obviously you are not familiar with opossums...at least the ones I know...they have a prehensile tail and if you carried them by the tail, they are more than likely to latch onto your hand or arm with their teeth for added stability...or maybe if you happened upon a mean one, he may even rake your forearm with his back legs, similar to a cat. If you were inclined to relocate the opossum it should be controlled from the scruff of the neck similar to cats and dogs. Personally I would dispatch it. Once one finds a source of food, not only will they return, they will bring their friends.

I agree, I would shoot the darn thing. I aint gonna preserve rats! Why the heck would you release it so it can just do the same thing again. I am not a friend with possums because they can and will kill chickens. Obviously you have never dealt with them because they will bite you if you hold them up by the tail and look at them. I pull them out of traps by the tail, but not carry them. I don't carry them at all. I set them down, take 10 paces and shoot it with a bow. Sorry if this makes you mad, but I do it this way. I am not gonna let some possum get a free meal out of my birds regardless of its age.

I definetely don't trust opossums in MY yard. It's illegal where I am (Australia-go figure
wink.png
) to kill them so I dump them 6 suburbs away from where I live next to the pacific highway. But if it was legal........
celebrate.gif

Quote:

I agree, I would shoot the darn thing. I aint gonna preserve rats! Why the heck would you release it so it can just do the same thing again. I am not a friend with possums because they can and will kill chickens. Obviously you have never dealt with them because they will bite you if you hold them up by the tail and look at them. I pull them out of traps by the tail, but not carry them. I don't carry them at all. I set them down, take 10 paces and shoot it with a bow. Sorry if this makes you mad, but I do it this way. I am not gonna let some possum get a free meal out of my birds regardless of its age.

Agreed
thumbsup.gif

YIKES!!! I'm glad all of your girls were OK. I have no idea what I would have done but there is no way I would pick the thing up with my hands
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom