You would have done what different with your coup?

crazyhen75

Chirping
Feb 3, 2020
When I began keeping chickens I new to have wide roost, plenty of space, but what else have we learned. Me for one would like an easy way to clean the drop boards under roost from the outside. Maybe some kind of slide out with a drop lip to make it easy to scrape off. Then it would be easy to put into a wheel barrel .
Do any of you have any ideas? Maybe a drop lip also on the nest to make them easier to clean out . As I have gotten older the bending is harder. Do you have any more ideas to help us golden oldies?

Welcome to BYC. I have wood boards that are removable for cleaning the coop. There is a rubberized garage floor pad on top that I spread pine shavings to aid in cleaning the droppings. I clean the droppings every other day. Once a month I pull the mat and can fold it to dump into a bucket and hose it to clean. 3FED0E7F-AF8B-419B-A887-8B86177B5559.jpeg

Let me tackle this one. :old
Have your drop boards like shallow drawers, and keep Sweet PDZ, or sand, or a combination of both. Then have a cat litter scooper and Easy Peazy
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
I'm new...don't have my chickens or coop yet.....The coop I am planning on getting has a pull out drawer. I just need to put sand in the bottom and scoop like kitty litter? How deep should the sand be? Do I need to put pine shavings on top of it, or mix in with it? How often do you scoop it out? If I mix the Sweet PDZ into it, what ratio of it to sand?

I'm new...don't have my chickens or coop yet.....The coop I am planning on getting has a pull out drawer. I just need to put sand in the bottom and scoop like kitty litter? How deep should the sand be? Do I need to put pine shavings on top of it, or mix in with it? How often do you scoop it out? If I mix the Sweet PDZ into it, what ratio of it to sand?
The coop you are planning on getting with a pull out drawer wouldn’t happen to be a prefab from Tractor Supply that holds 8 would it?

@HyperCello If you're going to 'sand and sift' I suggest a thin(~1/8") layer of straight PDZ and sift it with a fine mesh basket daily.

Back
Top Bottom