You wouldn't believe what spent the night in our brooder last night

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
A bat! We found a wayward bat in the garage. It was crawling around under the truck looking pretty sad. We pushed it out the door with a fly swatter and were discussing where to put it when we noticed it had crawled out into the rain for a drink. It got SOAKED. So, we put it on a little wooden platform that was built to raise the chick feeder when they get big enough for that and placed the whole setup under the heat lamp. Batty spent the night like that and late this morning, he'd moved and was hanging by his feet from the platform -- dry and seemingly content. I kept checking and just a few minutes ago, I found that he was flying around in the brooder. So, I opened the lid and let him out. He immediately joined the other bats over the lake dipping for a drink and catching bugs. Go Batty, go!

So now I have to disinfect the box again but I'm glad to have helped that little bat.

I love bats, they are such cool creatures. Yay for you for helping!
thumbsup.gif

But why was batty under the truck to begin with? Sounds like he was ill and bats are carriers of rabies plus he was in your brooder. If he was well you never would have gotten near him.

Very cool, Built Bat houses last year hope get some occupants this year. They fly around the property a lot eating skeeters so would like to give them a nice dry place to live
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom