Young 5 mo old drakes mating too aggressively?

Thank you! Yes so hubby wuickly built a framed sliding wall that divides their cottage into his her. He put the 1/4 inch hardware cloth stiff wire stapled into the frame as the 'wall'. So they can see each other. Hubby went back out a bit ago and the big drake was trying to bite the wire? My hubby turned on the spot lights so the drake can see its the whole wall. He said he stopped biting the wire. On an up side for the girl ducks, they are SOO grateful to be separated they crawked into my kids arms for being petted?!?! Of course we hand raised them etc but we had noticed over the last few weeks the girls just followed the boys. With out the guys around they were so docille and sweet. xx
My secluded drakes bite at their fencing too. It is usually because the girls are over there chatting with them. 😉
It sounds like you have juveniles. They are more hormonal once they reach puberty, but eventually they will have a "season" in the spring when you will want to keep them secluded.

Having a separate area for your drakes and females will help a lot until your little ducklings are old enough to be with the drakes. Usually around 5 months old. I commend you on being willing to do something before one of your females gets injured. Sometimes 2 drakes will tag team a female and while one is mating her the other is attacking her face.
Duck mating isn't pretty by no stretch of the imagination. We just need to know when to step in and do something before one of our females gets injured.
Thank you! I think that was lightky happening yesterday. It was shocking to witness. I know I have to keep them separated now.This female was being ganged up on atleast ny the one large male for sure.

Looks like a nice set up. I found that while it was dark everyone settled down. You will need to get them separated again first thing in the morning.
Thank you! Bc of the temp drops we have been out there about 30 minutes early and that is how we discovered this was even occuring. I know its 'normal' but these girls are for eggs to eat. I don't need anyone getting killed or hurt by another duck's mating ideas.

Thank you! Bc of the temp drops we have been out there about 30 minutes early and that is how we discovered this was even occuring. I know its 'normal' but these girls are for eggs to eat. I don't need anyone getting killed or hurt by another duck's mating ideas.
I'm with you - I think you definitely need to prioritize protecting your females, making sure they aren't harmed.

Everyone has settled down. We are keeping the boys separated from the girls now except when walking with
us outside on the farm foraging. The girls are soooo much more docile wanting us to pet them since the boys are not around. But, the second the boys are near the girls become very attentive to the boys. The boys even know now which side of the divided enclosure is theirs and they run to it when we let them out of the coop each morning lol.

Back
Top Bottom