Young Buff Orpingtons having trouble laying :(.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Outrun Acres, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Outrun Acres

Outrun Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Northwest Arkansas
    We have 2 buff orpingtons who have just started laying. I came back from the vacation (my DH had been taking care of everything in my absence) and one of my girls had prolapsed with an egg still inside of her, and the other was egg-bound and hadn't prolapsed yet. I don't know if it was their first egg or not because all of our chickens started laying while I was away. We soaked both of them in warm water for 20 minutes and tried to clean the area around their vents. The one that was eggbound managed to get her egg out later that day but we couldn't get the prolapsed one out. (It looked like she had been trying to get the egg out for awhile). The skin was started to seperate on the underside of her vent and we actually had to cut the egg out. Two weeks have gone by and they have both recovered and are back out with the rest of our flock. My questions are as follows: Does anybody know what the chances are of these two being able to lay in the future? Could this possibly be a genetic problem? Will this likely happen again? Is this a common occurance in first time layers? Could this be a breed specific problem? Any and all feedback would be appreciated :).

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I don't quite have the issues you have. But my buff orpy needs lots of time. She will give us either a double yolker huge egg (which happened to be her first-ouch) and then the next egg is a rubber egg (no shell). She's been laying for a month now and then she'll have normal eggs 2-3 days for the rest of the week. Then the double yolker -rubber egg days. She's young and I guess that's part of the territory with the young ones. But your problems seem beyond a young reproductive system, however that might be part of the picture. Good luck and I hope somebody jumps in here for you soon on this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by