young chickens slow and falling down, please help

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
When I went out this morning to let them out (there are five) one stayed inside and I had to pick it up and take it out. When I put it on the ground it sort of slumped over, with its wings drooping down, and its feathers are sort of fluffed out. I held it near water to drink and it did, and then it started to stand on its own. I added electrolytes to the water and held it there to drink for a bit, then it moved over to the food and started to peck at it but its still sort of slumped over and falling down when it moves. Now I'm really worried because I notice at least one other is doing the same, and maybe a third although I could be paranoid. Is there anything else I can do? What could be causing this? It's not hot here at all right now, so I know that's not a factor. Should I separate them?

How old are they? What are you feeding? Has your feed gotten wet and possibly moldy? What treats do they get, if any? Are they confined to the run or do they free range? Has anyone used an herbicide or pesticide in the area recently? Poops look normal?

Are these young birds who may be suffering from coccidiosis? What do the poops look like? Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up, not eating, runny poops , and weakness. It can be treated with Corid (amprollium) from a feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

If that doesn’t fit, look at the possibility of dehydration, eating something bad.

Are these young birds who may be suffering from coccidiosis? What do the poops look like? Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up, not eating, runny poops , and weakness. It can be treated with Corid (amprollium) from a feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

If that doesn’t fit, look at the possibility of dehydration, eating something bad.
I don't know how a chicken usually gets coccidiosis, I didn't notice any runny poops but I'll have to check tomorrow. Hopefully they're all okay overnight. I have corid in liquid form that I had to use for a past pet issue, so I can give that to them tomorrow.

How old are they? What are you feeding? Has your feed gotten wet and possibly moldy? What treats do they get, if any? Are they confined to the run or do they free range? Has anyone used an herbicide or pesticide in the area recently? Poops look normal?
About three months old, I feed them Dumor grower, and it has been rainy here and I haven't cleaned out their run in about a week. I haven't noticed any mold but I guess it's possible? They do get their food all over. What would happen if they consumed mold, would they have symptoms like I described? How would you treat it? There hasn't been any use of chemicals anywhere near us.

About three months old, I feed them Dumor grower, and it has been rainy here and I haven't cleaned out their run in about a week. I haven't noticed any mold but I guess it's possible? They do get their food all over. What would happen if they consumed mold, would they have symptoms like I described? How would you treat it? There hasn't been any use of chemicals anywhere near us.
That’s how mine were when they were a little bit younger. I put GSE in their water (only a few drops). The ch ims can also be very stressed. I know I didn’t help a lot but hope they get better!!

It seems the most likely problem is coccidiosis, so since you have Corid on hand I would initiate treatment right away. They won't drink at night so tomorrow morning add it to their water right away. If they are too weak to drink in the morning you can direct dose them.

It seems the most likely problem is coccidiosis, so since you have Corid on hand I would initiate treatment right away. They won't drink at night so tomorrow morning add it to their water right away. If they are too weak to drink in the morning you can direct dose them.
I started treatment yesterday like you suggested, but one of them was really bad and died this morning. Now three of the remaining four are showing symptoms, and I noticed a little bit of blood in their poop. Do you, or anyone else, know how long corid takes to start working? Does it still sound like coccidiosis?

I also have two other coops with ducks and chickens, and they are pretty close together. Should I start treatment on all of them just in case?

I started treatment yesterday like you suggested, but one of them was really bad and died this morning. Now three of the remaining four are showing symptoms, and I noticed a little bit of blood in their poop. Do you, or anyone else, know how long corid takes to start working? Does it still sound like coccidiosis?

I also have two other coops with ducks and chickens, and they are pretty close together. Should I start treatment on all of them just in case?
It should start working within 24 hours. Is the treated water their only source of water? How much are you using, and are you changing it every day? Are they getting any additional vitamins? If so they should be discontinued while you are treating for coccidioisis.

It should start working within 24 hours. Is the treated water their only source of water? How much are you using, and are you changing it every day? Are they getting any additional vitamins? If so they should be discontinued while you are treating for coccidioisis.
yes, it is their only source of water. Their waterer holds about one quart of water so I'm using half a tsp of liquid corid. I am changing it every day, and I had also added electrolytes to their water. Is it bad for those to mix? thank you for all the help

Back
Top Bottom