young chicks and old hens in same coop, how to seperate there feed

brents

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
I have 7- 1 year old dominques and 17 white rock chicks about 2 1/2 months old. I opened up the fence and let them run together and no problems. How can I let them run together but keep the chick feed seperate from the lyer feed. Will it hurt the chicks to eat the layer feed. Any ideas.

I have 7- 1 year old dominques and 17 white rock chicks about 2 1/2 months old. I opened up the fence and let them run together and no problems. How can I let them run together but keep the chick feed seperate from the lyer feed. Will it hurt the chicks to eat the layer feed. Any ideas.

Chicks CANNOT eat layer feed until they are 18 weeks and older as it will damage their kidneys and possibly cause problems when they are adults. So, switch everyone ( including the hens) to the chick feed as it won't harm the hens at all.

I don't think it will harm the egg laying, but you could also try hanging the layer feed high enough so the young chickens can't reach it and low enough for the full - grown hens to still be able to reach it.

I don't think it will harm the egg laying, but you could also try hanging the layer feed high enough so the young chickens can't reach it and low enough for the full - grown hens to still be able to reach it.
Yes you can do that^. But the chick feed will not cause issues with a hen's diet and eggs. (She may decrease a little because the chick feed isn't designed to help hens lay though.)

I always have multi age pullets running together so I just feed everybody grower feed which is usually about 18% protein and is fine for them all. I just make oyster shell available to the older girls and their fine. In fact the higher protein seems to help with the laying.

Is it ok to feed laying hens medicated grower??? I can't get unmedicated. What are other options?
Multi flock starter/grower (is non medicated, 22% protein) . You'll then need to offer your hens some extra calcium. Feed back the empty egg shells, and pick up a bag of oyster shell (I can get 50# for $10.) In the winter months, I do not feed layer at all. Keep them on the multiflock for the extra protein.

Back
Top Bottom