Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
I have a young salmon faverolle cockerel who is not walking right. He seems to be able to take only tiny steps and loses his balance easily; sometimes he spins in circles. Most of the time he gets to where he's going (food, water, his buddies) and then lay down. I have checked him well for injuries and found none. None of the other nine young birds (all around six weeks old) that are living with him are in any way abnormal.
Any suggestions?

Here's a link to a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/g7uWFi3dU3NxxJev9

First I would give vitamins. Just get the packet that you put in a gallon of water and let all the chickens drink it. Do not panic. I had a white Jersey Giant that was supposed to be a pullet. One day she stopped walking and just moved around on her haunches. I posted on this site and got lots of replies that it was Mareks. NOT! I gave her vitamins and in a week she was fine again. Turns out that this girl was a BOY and grew too fast for the legs to develop to handle the weight. Now 4 years later he is my pride and joy. So all that to say start with the vitamins and wait a week. Here's my boy unable to walk photo before and one now, he is a very big boy. Your boy is very cute! Good Luck!

minner pearl cant walk small.jpg

harvey vs leghorn hen.jpg

chicken vitamins.jpg

I have a young salmon faverolle cockerel who is not walking right. He seems to be able to take only tiny steps and loses his balance easily; sometimes he spins in circles. Most of the time he gets to where he's going (food, water, his buddies) and then lay down. I have checked him well for injuries and found none. None of the other nine young birds (all around six weeks old) that are living with him are in any way abnormal.
Any suggestions?

Here's a link to a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/g7uWFi3dU3NxxJev9
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Is there any specific vitamin deficiency that could cause this difficulty walking and balancing? I am currently supplementing with NutriDrench in their water.
I'm sorry, your video link is not working :(

What are you feeding?
What's his poop look like?

Difficulty walking and balancing could be a vitamin deficiency - you can try giving 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a bit of scrambled egg to see if he improves.

NutriDrench is a multivitamin with electrolytes. I would give some extra E, such as 400 IU of vitamin E daily, along with the NutriDrench or switch NutriDrench to B complex vitamins for B2 riboflavin and other B’s. He sounds like he may be having some neurological symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom