Have you started the vitamins that include b2 riboflavin? He is a bit young for symptoms of Mareks. The very earliest symptoms ever occur is 5 weeks, so it is posssible, but usually is seen in birds a little older. If riboflavin deficiency is the problem, the earlier it is treated the better the chances of recovery. You should see signs in a few days to a week if that is the problem.

Today he seemed to be taking slightly more normal steps, but again just lays down whenever he gets to where he's going. This information does not lead me to believe the problem is Marek's disease: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/mareks-disease

How is the stress level? Has he been picked on by other birds or has there been any other incidents/changes that could have stressed him out?

Do you have older birds or just these chicks?

How is the stress level? Has he been picked on by other birds or has there been any other incidents/changes that could have stressed him out?

Do you have older birds or just these chicks?
He lives with nine other chicks that hatched with him. They have a space separate from the older birds. I do not see him being picked on, even when he is just laying down and eating, and I do not know of any extra stress (predators, etc.) that would be affecting him.

He is one of the bigger chicks, being a standard size chick and not a bantam, but isn't unusually large or heavy. I have heard of the "meat-type" chickens growing so heavy so quickly that their legs can't support their weight, but he's definitely nowhere near that heavy. I'm suspecting either a vitamin deficiency or a genetic problem affecting his nervous system. We will see how he responds to the vitamin therapy.

This may sound silly but he doesn't have leg bands, right? Someone else here just had a problem with that.

If he walked acted normally up until now, and all the other chicks are fine, I doubt it is a vitamin deficiency. Something else is going on.

This may sound silly but he doesn't have leg bands, right? Someone else here just had a problem with that.

If he walked acted normally up until now, and all the other chicks are fine, I doubt it is a vitamin deficiency. Something else is going on.
He does not have leg bands.

Watching this thread, as I have a similar problem going on. My 7-week-old Lavender Orpington is showing the same symptoms. Just re-started the vitamins in the water today. I don't have any other special chicken vitamins on hand, but I do have B12 and women's multivitamins - can I just crush those up for my chickens?

When this happened to Harvey he didn't seem any bigger than the other "chicks" he was with either. I'm hoping the vitamins will do the trick with a little time. Pulling for you both! :hugs

Watching this thread, as I have a similar problem going on. My 7-week-old Lavender Orpington is showing the same symptoms. Just re-started the vitamins in the water today. I don't have any other special chicken vitamins on hand, but I do have B12 and women's multivitamins - can I just crush those up for my chickens?
I wouldn't crush human vitamins for the chickens. You can buy packets of vitamins and electrolytes that you put into their water. It's very inexpensive. I give vitamins and electrolyes to my flock whenever there is stress, like now with the heat.

chicken vitamins.jpg

Back
Top Bottom