Young cockerel not fitting into flock well

Would you recommend I go down to one rooster even if I plan on separating them into two flocks later on? I'll be breeding my Crevecoeurs, and I didn't want to leave my egg flock alone without a roo. There is a good amount of tree cover, but some of them are quite stupid.
If separating into two flocks for breeding they can't be ranged together,
due to unauthorized insemination and the cock/erels fighting.
Ranging on alternate days would work.

Or you could keep just the Crevecoeur cockerel and only hatch out the Crevecoeur eggs,
if you can tell them apart form the others.

If separating into two flocks for breeding they can't be ranged together,
due to unauthorized insemination and the cock/erels fighting.
Ranging on alternate days would work.

Or you could keep just the Crevecoeur cockerel and only hatch out the Crevecoeur eggs,
if you can tell them apart form the others.
I had planned to range them on alternate days. But that is a good point... if I just have one....
But I'd still need a place to separate out the roosters I hatch... Dangit so complicated!

Well I will say that Viktor's (the dark Brahma) "love nips" are becoming more and more vicious. He's still a well behaved rooster overall but... well... he may be outgrowing my affection let's put it that way.

once hormones hit all bets are off until they level off, separating the 2 flocks sooner than later would be a good Idea and have a bachelor pad to put young cockerels into if you are planning on breeding them.

You probably already know what a pain the teenage years are with raging hormones lol

Last edited:
I leave them with the flock until about 14 weeks, then eat them.

My worry is that Creves seem to mature really slowly, so I'm not sure I could tell who was the best option to keep at that age... And if they're anything like my Bowie, they'll mature (crowing and attitude wise at least) very early. But that's good to know. It IS an option.

Back
Top Bottom