Young cockerel not fitting into flock well

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
Hello guys-- I need some advice.

I got my flock from McMurray and had a great experience. My surprise chick is a dark brahma cockerel. He is very human friendly but doesn't seem to get along well with the rest of the flock. His human pecks sometimes do get a bit rough, but he responds well to me getting up and showing him I won't back down. He loves scritches and tolerates me picking him up. You can see of course why this is emotionally a little hard for me. He is SO friendly...

Like I said, the problem is with the flock. He is head and shoulders above them all except the cochins, and they only come up to mid neck. He is enormous. I had ordered a Crevecoeur rooster, and he "came out" early on. He (Bowie the Crevecoeur) has perfect manners towards the ladies. He dances, doesn't jump them, tidbits, and is a great guard for hawks and other predators.

Viktor however (the brahma) shows no interest in the ladies beyond that they're eating food that could be his. He will run over them if they're in his way, and is really rough about it. With his size, he will eventually hurt someone or something. I'd originally planned on keeping him when I separate the flocks for breeding purposes. That way each flock has a roo to watch over it.

All my chickens are about four months old.

What do you guys think? Give him some more time to mature? He's still not crowing...
The other option is selling him or freezer camp.

His behavior sounds normal for 4 months, and being large brahma can take a little longer to mature. I recommend giving him some time for hormones to kick in and for him to notice the ladies before making such a drastic change to your plans, because it sounds like he's becoming the perfect gentleman towards you which is awesome.

That's good to hear. I'm still worried, but it does help. I was wondering if maybe his breed and slower feathering and maturation rate were connected. That's a relief.
Yeah he's a little rough sometimes even with me (missing a treat and pinching my finger instead for instance, or pecking for attention) but other than that he really is an ideal cockerel towards me. He gets a little blustery and flappy sometimes but never charges me or drops a wing. My other rooster is great with the flock but will NOT allow any touches from me.

THANK YOU for your response. I really didn't want to remove such a human-friendly cockerel... but I worry a lot.

young cockerels can be a challenge, but once hormones hit and they level out if they are fairly good going into the teenage stage should settle down, sometimes you need to give the pullets and hens a break though and pen em up while dealing with crazy hormones for a day but you will all get through it fine, sounds like once he gets through it you'll have an amazing rooster

young cockerels can be a challenge, but once hormones hit and they level out if they are fairly good going into the teenage stage should settle down, sometimes you need to give the pullets and hens a break though and pen em up while dealing with crazy hormones for a day but you will all get through it fine, sounds like once he gets through it you'll have an amazing rooster

So I basically am having the terrible twos and puberty in one bird lol. OH GOD.
Since they range around my entire yard in the daytime they don't seem harassed. He doesn't chase them. It's when I coop them up at night that there are issues.

Maybe I should speed up the construction of the new coop...

but you will get through it and have a very nice rooster, luckily it doesn't take as long as the humans do lol.

if lock up is only time theres a real problem put him in a kennel in the cook for anight or 2 see if that helps, if you have new hens laying will be adding to pecking order drama

but you will get through it and have a very nice rooster, luckily it doesn't take as long as the humans do lol.

if lock up is only time theres a real problem put him in a kennel in the cook for anight or 2 see if that helps, if you have new hens laying will be adding to pecking order drama

Sadly the coop they're in now is really too small for them. I'm not sure I have room for a kennel big enough for him! He is huge and it still amazes me.

(I REALLY need to build that coop. :/)

And oh!!! If that could be adding to it, that's TOTALLY what's happening. I got my first eggs a few days ago and that's really when he started running over them, causing much squawking and screeching.

There is a reason I have chickens and not kids lol. I'm more likely to be able to tolerate a few months of teenaged chickens!

I predict that two males in a too small enclosure is going to be big trouble here pretty soon. They may get along just fine, but for now the Brahma is slow to mature and he's the subordinate male. The Brahma may not be so complaint, to you or the other cockerel, once his hormones are fully flowing.
I would pick the one that meets your(or rather your birds needs) needs and wants the most and get rid of the other one.

All my chickens are about four months old.
I got my first eggs a few days ago
Hmm... how do these two things go together?
4 months is a bit young for pullets to be laying.<scratcheshead>

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-22_8-28-24.png
    upload_2019-9-22_8-28-24.png
    391 KB · Views: 3
Honestly I'm surprised too! One of my whiting true greens is laying. The eggs are small, but she lays one every day, which makes me super happy! They're the upper side of four months-closer to five.

Unless someone else's chickens are sneaking into my coop. :gasp:

Would you recommend I go down to one rooster even if I plan on separating them into two flocks later on? I'll be breeding my Crevecoeurs, and I didn't want to leave my egg flock alone without a roo. There is a good amount of tree cover, but some of them are quite stupid.

I really am anxious about the too-small coop. I was supposed to have a family member help transport supplies for the new coop but.... I guess I'll just have to pay Lowes' $75 delivery fee. :/

Back
Top Bottom