Young Cockerel with twisted leg (plz help!)

silentmaple

Chirping
Sep 16, 2021
I have a roughly three-month-old cockerel with a fully curled foot and a leg twisted at the ankle. He is a mix that I hatched myself, and he was born with the foot issue(assisted hatch due to foot). When he was little, I braced his foot to straighten his toes, but it did not work and ended up only making him more lame when it was on.
pic of him when little, foot visible
1690237415396.png

As he got heavier, his leg slowly rotated at the ankle joint until it seemed like his tendon slipped. I was trying to build a prosthetic to support him from the ankle joint, it ended up not working. He was still living with the rest of his hatch in a pen on our lawn at the time. I ended up slacking off on his supervision, as I am a college student desperately applying to every job possible(spoiler: only one place of dozens has gotten back to me, and that led nowhere). There was a substantial rainstorm a couple of weeks ago and he got soaked. I took him inside and rinsed and dried him, he has been in a crate inside since. Hobbling his legs also led nowhere.
My current plan is to modify a wheelchair I made for another chicken a few years ago and use a mix of bracing and hobbling to correct the movement of his legs. I am supplementing his food with a mix of spinach, chickpeas, and egg yolks cooked together for Manganese, Cholic Acid, and Biotin to help with the slipped tendon. I am medicating his water with Nekton Multivitamin for the B-complex, and he gets mealworms as a treat every couple of days for protein. He flops around too much to have water with him at all times, so I have to give him it under supervision many times a day. I am exercising his good leg daily to get the muscles to work closer to normal.
The problem is that I still live on my parent's homestead, and if the chicken does not show progress he will have to be culled. I do not have the funds for vet care at this time.
Here are some pics of his leg:
1690238704555.png

1690239016455.png

Here is a diagram to show the way that his different joints face (red for joint/bone placement, green show direction front of joint is facing)
2023_07_24_0vd_Kleki.png

TLDR: Young rooster born with curled toes, developed slipped tendon, advice for treatment requested, cant afford vet
Any Help or Advice is appreciated!!

I am very sorry about your little cockerel, but he has a frozen foot and probably leg bone deformities that will most likely not ever improve, even with vitamins and minerals. He might be able to use a chicken sling chair in order to get enough to eat and drink, and periods of rest outside the sling. The best thing for him to eat is a balanced all flock feed, which has all of the minerals he needs. I would consider putting him down since he may not have a good quality of life, but that is up to you. Here is a good 5 page thread with pictures of homemade chicken sling chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I am very sorry about your little cockerel, but he has a frozen foot and probably leg bone deformities that will most likely not ever improve, even with vitamins and minerals. He might be able to use a chicken sling chair in order to get enough to eat and drink, and periods of rest outside the sling. The best thing for him to eat is a balanced all flock feed, which has all of the minerals he needs. I would consider putting him down since he may not have a good quality of life, but that is up to you. Here is a good 5 page thread with pictures of homemade chicken sling chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
My main plan is to give him a chair. His main diet is an all-flock starter-grower due to his age, the other things I've been giving him are in small amounts, and only to help supplement. I am closely monitoring his quality of life, and I feel at this time he is alright in that area. He vocalizes, has energy, and has his modified way of flopping around, which he can move some with. I have made these difficult decisions before, so I feel equipped to make it if I have to. Thank you for the name of his foot issue though, I hadn't been able to find what it was before. Also, thank you for the link to the chairs, that helps a lot in terms of designing!!

His curled under toes may have been helped in the early days after hatch with b complex vitamins that contain riboflavin, but the joint is most likely frozen permanently. Varus and valgus deformities, twisted tibias, and tibial dyschondroplasia are some common deformities. Slipped tendons happen at hatch, and most are not treated successfully. The leg bone deformities are permanent and get worse as they grow. Here are some articles to read:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers#:~:text=Common leg problems observed in heavy broilers&text=Valgus (VVD), crooked toes,skeletal pathologies causing leg problems.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Back
Top Bottom