Young duck charging us

pecangrove

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
SC
We have 2 ducks about 5 weeks old now. The Khaki Campbell drake has taken to charging at us when we are in the pen doing things. Even if we are offering treats. The female Welsh Harlequin just acts scared of us. Is this normal at this age? Is there anything we should do to curb the behavior - I really don't want to have to dodge a duck everytime I'm doing something in there. He is being a little booger.
Thanks in advance!

I have Campbells. Yes they do charge at me also. I gave away my drake that was doing this. One of my females charges also. I will tell you that the most they can do to you is bump you with his chest. This feels like being slightly tapped with a small pillow. They are so light weight and do not have a beak but a bill he cannot hurt you. I only gave away that drake because I did not have enough females for 2 boys. If you turn on him he will run away. Ducks are much better behaved out of their pen. They a psycho in a pen.

Yeah, it didn't hurt in the least and was funny to see. I just didn't want it to be a behavior that would escalate into something worse somehow. LOL

Our Rouen drake used to charge us whenever we turned our back when near their pen. The second you turned back to him, he'd stop like nothing happened, haha. He only did it near his pen - we took it as a protective thing. (My son, then 2yrs, thought it was funny and would charge back at him!) The most he ever did was peck at my feet which only tickled when I had sandals on.

Our Rouen drake used to charge us whenever we turned our back when near their pen. The second you turned back to him, he'd stop like nothing happened, haha. He only did it near his pen - we took it as a protective thing. (My son, then 2yrs, thought it was funny and would charge back at him!) The most he ever did was peck at my feet which only tickled when I had sandals on.

I had a drake like that. Always made me laugh!
He'd only charge with your back turned. And if you ran he'd fly after you. As soon as you turn around it was back to being a normal duck, quacking and waddling around.

I have always picked them up regularly, but it didn't do anything to discourage his behavior. I never worried, though since all that was at risk was your toes.

Last edited:
I've got a girl who does it. She used to charge at us but whenever she did I'd pick her up and give her a cuddle as a punishment xD she loves me now and I'm the only one she lets cuddle her.

Back
Top Bottom