Young Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hauenstein, Feb 1, 2017.

1. hauenstein

hauenstein New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    I have a single duckling about 8 weeks old, I set four eggs in the incubator and had only one hatch. At the same time I hatched 8 quail. She was in the broader with them for about 6 weeks and then she was in a hutch with them up until yesterday when I put her in a swimming pool with a fence around it in garage. She is too young to be introduced to the flock, unfortunately I learned this the hard way, and ducks a very social animals. She seems very unhappy alone. What can I do until she can be with the rest of the flock? I also have another set of eggs due to hatch in the next few days.

2. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Just some ideas here but you could put the cage outside during the day or bring a different bird into the cage with her. You could also try a warm pad bundled into a ball or something in the shape of another bird. Don't forget you could just give her a bunch of love.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with the bunch of love!

Something I have found helps is an unbreakable mirror. When I had two adopted rescues in quarantine, even though they had each other, when I added the mirror, they cheered up quite a bit.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a single duckling right now until my other Duck eggs hatch on February 20th....also only one hatched so he is alone...
    I have a mirror in his brooder....He loves himself dearly....lol...i play with him and let him out of the brooder to run around a few times a day....

Once your Duckling stops peeping and Quacks your other Ducks will probably accept it into the flock...Keep them in a look no touch pen and they will get used to the Duckling.....

Best of luck....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. hauenstein

hauenstein New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I put one of my other ducks in with her and she seems to be doing much better.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That's great news.....They look happy!!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by