Young duckling

Taha2411

Hatching
Jul 6, 2022
Hi everyone,

My duckling was walking funny yesterday morning then at night i went to close the light so he could sleep he was just sitting with his legs spread apart, usually he gets super excited to see me, then I picked him up gently and placed him on the floor and then again he was limp refused to stand up, i took him to the vet they gave me some suppliments to feed him, but now he is getting worse he is not even lifting up his neck, only breathing heavily.

Any helpful suggestions I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 20220706_155927.jpg
    20220706_155927.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 11
How are you giving him any supplements if this is how he is? They can aspirate so easily when they can’t hold up their heads. Put his legs in natural position while he is laying like this. What have you been feeding him and have you been using niacin since it’s very important for waterfowl to have adequate niacin in their diets for strength in their legs. Is he aware of his surroundings?

How are you giving him any supplements if this is how he is? They can aspirate so easily when they can’t hold up their heads. Put his legs in natural position while he is laying like this. What have you been feeding him and have you been using niacin since it’s very important for waterfowl to have adequate niacin in their diets for strength in their legs. Is he aware of his surroundings?
With the help of a syringe, but tbh it's barely any use because he is not swallowing now, all the food he is pushing out of his nose. The supplements the vet gave has niacin, but honestly the vet was useless because he just kept saying it's a virus maybe I'm wrong but every where I have checked it's a deficiency, he gave it some meds through a syring after that he has been like this before that he was atleast sitting and was aware of his surroundings, was just not standing up. Idk what to do now

I wouldn’t try getting anything down him now. I hate to say it but I am worried your going to lose him. Just keep him comfortable. Is this your only duckling and this just started yesterday no other symptoms before this?
@Quatie
@HollowOfWisps
Yeah even I'm fearing the worst, yeah he is the only duckling I have, have other pets too. But he is the only duckling. Yeah the symptoms just started yesterday, idk how it progressed so fast within a day

I know how you feel. My first brood was 3 Khakis. One was very weak from the start, had trouble walking. These were my first time with ducks. I lost her after 4 days.
You feel like what did I do wrong? But some times you will get a weak or sick duck and not know.
So please don't be too hard on yourself.
And please don't give up on being a duck owner. These babies are just pure joy!

Back
Top Bottom