Young goose feathers ripped out, and some bleeding from attack from Gandar overnight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mominoz, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Well, I thought they were ok together. I had to separate some younger birds from a setting group of 4 (same age/family). Then the other female decided to set in the next younger group.... there were 4 1 yr geese that were with them , and noticed they started to run at the youngers the other day a couple times, but nothing 'serious' ....so I thought. I thought only the older gandar was aggressive during setting. Nope, seems I have 2 .
    This morning I had a young gandar with blood his leg and side , and under wing. Seems his feathers were ripped out. Not bleeding, I hosed him well and put the 4 youngsters in a clean pen.
    I will check my Geese book, but wonder if anyone knows of anything I should put on it or leave it alone (it is under his wing, so flies probably won't get there.(only seen a few around). (wasn't any other predator, as all is hotwired top and bottom of the fence.)

I have Wonder Dust and Neoporin , but read not to use the kind with pain killer.

2. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    hhhmmm, not sure how to delete post. He isn't too bad. I put neosporin on it. Must have bleed mostly from the primaries that were ripped out. A bit more underneath , but not as bad as it looked with blood all down side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by