young hen attacked by dog-alive but can't move-update

So Suzie was still alive this AM. Got her to drink some more sugar water by sticking her beak in it. Put more Neosporin in the wound. The wound looks bigger and I think I can see bone or something. It is very deep. she will get up on her feet and shuffle before falling over. I put the chick feeder in and this AM she was up against it so not sure if that means she is eating. She did poop. Plan to go home at lunch and check on her and scramble some egg yolk.

The dog. Noone in the house can look at her right now. I appreciate the comments. We keep thinking if we just keep her contained it will be OK but it's impossible to be perfect. A few weeks ago I left the gate open working on a project and when we put her out later she ended up loose. I was so scared waiting to see if we heard from anyone about it. Last time that happend we got a $100 fine in the mail for a dog offleash and acting aggressively. The wierd thing is that on leash in public she never barks at anyone. She is freindly to all other dogs and really good with kids. I am crazy about this dog. She is my running buddy and the funniest and most beautiful dog I have ever seen. I told DH that if he want her to go we can give her to the petsitter (who wants her). I have never loved a dog like this but I am pretty sick of living in lockdown with fear something will happen. If he took her I could still take her for runs with me I guess. Wouldn't be the same.

Quote:
If you love the dog that much then bend your rules and jump through hoops to make 200% sure she can't get out. I've got several dogs here who would kill my sheep and my chickens if they ever got into the back yard. I don't fool myself about that. But I do everything humanely possible (you can't just "do your best" you have to do better than your best in these cases) to make sure the dogs have no access whatsoever to the back fenced area where the livestock and chickens are. I've got a 5' chain link and a hot wire. I'm the 1st person to suggest euthanasia for people aggressiveness and not to give an aggressive dog away, it just passes your problem onto someone else. But some dogs are worth it if only because you love them so much. Dogs kill chickens, period. That's a fact. I wouldn't get rid of her for THAT reason. I'd be a lot more concerned about her attitude towards people. I'm sorry, but the adults in that family are to blame for her getting ahold of the chicken. You can't blame the kids, they're just kids. And you can't blame the dog for this particular misdeed because she just did what most any dog would do. But you have to guarantee 200% that the dog won't have access to the chickens again. Few people have that kind of dedication, it's easier to get rid of the dog and claim it wasn't your fault. Only you know if you can go those extra 5 miles to ensure the dog stays put. Most people can't.

Try feeding her the yolk of a hard boiled egg. She could use the protein right now.
wink.png

Mitzi-You are right about it being the adults responsibility. That is part of why we were thinking about giving her away. We can't always control how the kids use the gate and doors if we are not standing right there (they are 9 and 11). At this point we are deciding to keep working it out. New rules-no dog in the backyard when the chickens are roaming and she gets leashed when we answer the door. DH fixed the gate latch so it self latches. Increase security 200%. It scares me that we have decided this before and still made mistakes. As for the people aggresion, its never away from home (even camping) but when people go by (actually this one guy in particular) she is freaked out. There is a trainer near us that specializes in this that I will be getting in touch with. Maybe he can also help us with our "security" issue.

Chicken Obsessed-I had to laugh because after Mitzi's post it sounded for a second like you meant feed it to the dog. Don't think that would help the situation LOL. Although she wouldn't mind it. I get it now. I actually fried some up at lunchtime and put it in her chick feeder. I tried to forcefeed some but she if she gets too upset she gets up and tries to walk then calapses.

I am starting to worry about her recovering but not being able to walk. She could have all kinds of broken stuff on her. When she unfolds her wing she can't seem to fold it back in. One step at a time I guess.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing! That somehow I didn't think feeding the dog eggs would stop her from going after chickens
smile.png

I'm kinda glad you're so dedicated to the dog and are giving her another chance. Out of 13 dogs I've only got 2 that I trust with the chickens & livestock. I suspect you're in plenty of company as far as your dog and your chickens!

Quote:
i know my jewel was a slow recovery, she would lean against a stool or couch to balance on, then eat, the big thing for now would be to give her a chance, they can recover from amazing things- she needs quiet, a stressfree area- nutrition, more than just crumbles, boost her energy some- in regards of the dog- i have 2 dump dogs, neither would i have trusted a year ago with chickens, but i spent alot of time working with them- walking them with the leash- they were chained the rest the time, now one or the other is always off and patrolling- after some major bird losses this spring- it just depends on the dog, if you can't trust him, keep him chained, and work with him-

I can get her to drink as much as I want if I dip her beak in it but cannot get her to eat. I tried forcing her beak open and can't seem to manage it. Should I be force feeding her at this point. She is in reach of the crumbles and I sprinkled some egg yoke in front of her for what it's worth. She seems to sleep most of the time. I feel so bad for her. I really appreciate the encouragement guys.

BTW I am Amy. Violet is actually my naughty dog's name.

do this, make a broth of her crumbles, with possibly egg yolk mixed in, and dip her beak in it, it will get her nutrients and vitamins- its going to take alot of patience and do this frequently, she needs all the nourishment she can get

Robin-this morning I soaked some crumbles and then mixed it with some yogurt and water. She drank some and some sugar water. I will go home at lunch and add egg too. It seems to tire her out when I feed her and she sleeps in between nibbles. Actually she sleeps all the time except when I wake her up to try to feed her. This yogurt mixture was the first she has eaten. She is pooping and I have been trying to scoop it away from her but overnight she got a big dried on gooey glob of poop stuck to her. She seems no better but no worse. Sigh

Quote:

Just a reminder, if using any type of cycline/mycin..don't use yogurt, use acidophiles caplets, or crush some tablets.
smile.png

No meds? Go yogurt!

Back
Top Bottom