Young Hen bullied and brutally injured, help!

NewToTheFlocks

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2021
**Graphic Imagery Warning!**
Hello,

Yesterday around 6pm I found out that one of my family’s juvenile birds escaped their side of the enclosure (they are separated from the adult birds by a plastic mesh fence) and was brutally attacked by the hens. She is a Rhode Island White around 2 1/2 months old. All of the flesh and feathers from her head and neck are missing.
3C0139A2-E82D-400C-B9BF-58DD638E73B1.jpeg
93740059-1A00-4EF1-9871-83D092D31E22.jpeg
Currently, I am spraying her with an iodine-water solution three times daily to keep the injury from being infected, feeding her grower’s feed with water and egg yolks mixed in it, and giving her water with baby aspirin and electrolytes. I am keeping her in my bathtub on some towels with a heater and a low light as I found it was the quietest and most restful place for her to be in. She is chirping, eating, and drinking but looks to be in terrible shape to me. I am trying to decide if the most humane thing is to euthanize her or to try and treat the wounds and hope it scabs over. Would love whatever advice you may have.

When did this happen ? I had this happen to one of my old Ayam Cemani pullets. Hers was more sever though. Have you noticed any shaking of her head or not walking straight? I would say if you want to try and save her, then spay with veterciyn or the iodine water like you are and keep doing what you are doing. I’m glad to hear she is eating and drinking, as my baby would only drink and it was clear she wasn’t going to eat on her own again. Definitely use Neosporin with NO pain relief. It definitely helped my girl when I had her. As long as she’s eating and drinking on her own and you are keeping her separate with some good care I’m pretty sure she’ll be ok. Good luck and please keep us posted .

Back
Top Bottom