Young Hen Has Stopped Laying - Thoughts?

KingCoopa

Chirping
May 16, 2018
Kirkland, WA
Exactly a week ago I noticed my Cream Legbar had one eye that was swollen shut. I immediately took her to the avian vet and after examination was told she probably got pecked/scratched in the eye and she should be fine. I was given an antibiotic ointment to put in it three times a day. Eye is back to normal and looks great now. But ever since the vet visit, she has stopped laying. Also, the day of the visit she layed an egg with no shell (she typically lays blue eggs). It was like a water balloon. Very odd, but kind of cool! Anyways, I'm guessing the pause in laying is due to the stress of me applying the ointment each day? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Susan Eye.jpg
Susan Egg.jpg

Exactly a week ago I noticed my Cream Legbar had one eye that was swollen shut. I immediately took her to the avian vet and after examination was told she probably got pecked/scratched in the eye and she should be fine. I was given an antibiotic ointment to put in it three times a day. Eye is back to normal and looks great now. But ever since the vet visit, she has stopped laying. Also, the day of the visit she layed an egg with no shell (she typically lays blue eggs). It was like a water balloon. Very odd, but kind of cool! Anyways, I'm guessing the pause in laying is due to the stress of me applying the ointment each day? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!View attachment 1481029 View attachment 1481030
Stress can be a cause of lack of laying, I’m not going to make that conclusion yet though.

Exactly a week ago I noticed my Cream Legbar had one eye that was swollen shut. I immediately took her to the avian vet and after examination was told she probably got pecked/scratched in the eye and she should be fine. I was given an antibiotic ointment to put in it three times a day. Eye is back to normal and looks great now. But ever since the vet visit, she has stopped laying. Also, the day of the visit she layed an egg with no shell (she typically lays blue eggs). It was like a water balloon. Very odd, but kind of cool! Anyways, I'm guessing the pause in laying is due to the stress of me applying the ointment each day? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!View attachment 1481029 View attachment 1481030
It could be from the stress. Is her comb pale or red? How old is she? Has it been really hot where you live? Has she been going in the egg boxes or squatting?

I hope she starts laying soon for you!

It could be from the stress. Is her comb pale or red? How old is she? Has it been really hot where you live? Has she been going in the egg boxes or squatting?

I hope she starts laying soon for you!
I'd say her comb is a bit pale? Noticeably more pale than that of her coop mate who is laying each day. She's just over six months old. Been in upper 80's here recently. I haven't noticed her going in the egg boxes or squatting. She was laying daily for a couple of weeks before her eye swelled up.

Back
Top Bottom