Young hen laying three eggs a day

Kriscam

Songster
Mar 19, 2021
I have a 21-week old barred rock who started laying normally in the nest box three weeks ago. However since then, four times she has either laid a normal egg in the morning (or not - but she still tries) in the box, and in the evening drops two soft eggs. When this happens it happens sometimes within 12 hours. Does anyone know why she's producing three eggs in less than 24 hours? Her flock mates are laying normally. She has organic Purina Layena with oyster shell available at all times, as well as free choice oyster shell. She gets to free range most of the time, their run is 4' x 15' for four young hens, and the coop is 4'x4'. I live in North Central Washington and it's been hotter than hell. I use misters, a swamp cooler, and shade blinds & tents to keep them cool, and put ice in their drinkers and little pool every couple of hours. I give them spinach, corn on the cob, watermelon, grapes, a little scratch, and dried grubs for treats. I'm stumped!

Are you sure they are her eggs?
Yes. I have a Blink camera in the coop and have been able to determine that it was her. A couple of times I've been with her when she has laid the two soft eggs about 20 minutes apart. This morning she laid two partially hard shelled eggs in the nest box about 20 minutes apart. That's the first time she has done the double in the am and not the evening.

Yay I thought your pullet would settle down. I've got a young pullet whose system is glitching at the moment. Every second day she is laying 2 eggs one after the other. The two she layed yesterday had thin shells and had a spot on there side where they looked like they had touched on there way out. Maybe she had meant for this one to be a double yoker? ....Glad I'm not a hen!

Yay I thought your pullet would settle down. I've got a young pullet whose system is glitching at the moment. Every second day she is laying 2 eggs one after the other. The two she layed yesterday had thin shells and had a spot on there side where they looked like they had touched on there way out. Maybe she had meant for this one to be a double yoker? ....Glad I'm not a hen!
She has a relapse now and then and about every third egg is a double yoker, but on balance, I hope she is on her way to normal! Hope yours is too. I am also glad I'm not a hen. Laying eggs looks like hard work!

Back
Top Bottom