Young hen, maybe heatstroke, or???? I don't know what else to do!!!

DarkWater1929

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
Redding, California
My 8 months-ish old Americauna hen has been sick for a week. It began on a 108° day, when, despite many cool water sources, and plenty of shade, I found her lying on the front steps, in a sort of stupor. Her comb was cherry red. She acted as though she wanted the honey water I offered, but then, couldn't stay awake long enough to drink any. I have her water, and blended fruit, by syringe, which she seemed grateful for. By late evening, she was wandering around the house, and seemed well on her way to normal.

The next day, she seemed about the same. Not super sick, but not 100%. So, I kept her in the cool house all day. The following day, about 48 hours after I first discovered her on the steps, she was back to square one. She is dozey, uncoordinated, and can't seem to get her own food or water, despite obviously wanting both. She has remained so for nearly a week. She seems to have trouble staying awake at all. Just after I feed or water her, usually both, she might get up and stagger a few steps. At those times, she will remain alert for as much as an hour, then back to being on the nod.
Is this the result of heat stroke, do you think? Can it cause permanent damage? Or, maybe she got injured somehow, and I just assumed it was the heat? I adore this girl, and want her to recover, if at all possible! I cannot, sadly, afford a vet. Any input will be welcomed!

Thank you!!!

It does sound the heat is a problem. That is very hot. Is she holding her wings away from the body and panting when she is hot? I would try getting her to drink plain water often, holding it up to her beak in a lid or cup. Mix a lot of water into a small amount of her feed and get her to peck at it. I place shaded wide pans of shaded water in my coop and run for the chickens to stand in on hot days.

It does sound the heat is a problem. That is very hot. Is she holding her wings away from the body and panting when she is hot? I would try getting her to drink plain water often, holding it up to her beak in a lid or cup. Mix a lot of water into a small amount of her feed and get her to peck at it. I place shaded wide pans of shaded water in my coop and run for the chickens to stand in on hot days.
Thank you so much! I think, however, that we are not to that point yet. She will accept what I put in her mouth, once I get it in tthere. She resists that right up until it is in her beak. Then, she swallows it. When I
Offer her something tempting, she will reach for it with her beak, but, before she gets to it, she has dozed off again. She does not stand, except for very brief moments, and then she is not fully erect. She kind of waddles a couple of steps, and collapses again.

Do you have a vet who would see her? Do you feel that she is dehydrated? Can she move both legs and walk without losing balance? I would give her some electrolytes or homemade sugar water, pedialyte, or gatorade. Use a dropper if needed. Pictures of her could help. I use a fan in my coop pointing out of the window on the far end, and it draws cooler air through the coop from the opposite end. With that kind of heat, you need lots of windows, and plenty of shade.

Back
Top Bottom