Young hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 3HenMama, Aug 17, 2014.

1. 3HenMama

3HenMama New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    I posted earlier about my 7 month old Easter Egger and her laying problems. My new question is- has anyone ever had a hen have a prolapsed vent and then stop laying? Maybe from stress or someing else? Everyone suggested to read about egg binding but she is showing no signs of being in pain.
    Has anyone ever experienced this? All help is much appreciated :)
    This was taken this afternoon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've never had a hen get vent gleet but I would guess that she would take a bit to start back up again. She looks good so as long as she has the nutrients she needs, she'll return to laying soon.

Make sure she has PLENTY of extra calcium and water.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Mountain Peeps' advice. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Easter Egger hen.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It is probably best that she does stop laying so she can heal up well. Laying too soon after prolapse can lead to more prolapse and death. Young layers are never consistent with laying for a few months. Their egg laying machines need to mature more yet. So just let her rest for now. She will do far better if she does not lay for a while. :)

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. The other posters have given some excellent advice.

6. 3HenMama

3HenMama New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Hi. I agree that her not laying is best. I just want to make sure her body isn't producing any eggs and that there isn't any eggs stuck, backing up or being absorbed into her blood. I'm assuming since she isn't showing any signs of being sick or distressed her body just isn't producing eggs at this time?
    Just making sure- I love her so much and don't want her to be in pain!!
    Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it. I'm so new to this- I appreciate advice from someone who's dealt with this before. :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the problems with your pullet, she is a very pretty girl. If she had a stuck egg at this point she would be in distress so hopefully she has just stopped laying because of the stress and will resume again later. I would keep a very close eye on her, especially her abdomen, if it seems to get hard or squishy (probably easiest to compare her to your other birds the same age/stage) she might be developing other problems related to the laying.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  9. 3HenMama

3HenMama New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    SHE LAID AN EGG TODAY!! I just got home from work and checked the nesting boxes and she laid!!! I AM SO HAPPY I could cry!!! Thank you all for your advice and help!! [​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by