Young hens coming into winter

Redneckracing14

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
I understand that if i wanted my 30 hens to lay strong this winter i need to put a light on timer for them they were hatched end june beginging of july so they should start laying in October they are red sexlinks and white leghorn my question is if i do not put a lamp on timer for them they wont start laying until spring? So if they dont starting laying until spring does that mean i can keep them.longer then the traditional 2 year mark and then next winter put them.on timer?

They will start laying when they sexually mature, and will lay through winter at a decreased rate. Production tends to increase by March. Usually they will mature about a month later this time of year than what the average expectant date. No lights are needed.

Agreed---no light needed. In my experience, my pullets (BRs) that started laying in late fall/early winter did not experience any slow down in production nor increase in production in the spring/summer when daylight got longer.

They may start to lay, but I don't think it would be very often. I don't rely on eggs for any reason so I don't use a light. But sounds like with that many chickens you are wanting them for the egg production and in that case I would add the light. BTW welcome to BYC.

If you do decided to use the light to get more eggs in the winter, you are correct that they will not lay as long. They have a set number of eggs they are going to lay, like a human female, but with chickens, if they lay them all in the first few years, they won't lay like my 5 year old Cuckoo Marans who still lays 4 eggs a week.

If you do decided to use the light to get more eggs in the winter, you are correct that they will not lay as long. They have a set number of eggs they are going to lay, like a human female, but with chickens, if they lay them all in the first few years, they won't lay like my 5 year old Cuckoo Marans who still lays 4 eggs a week.
I thought if i didnt use a light they would lay longer they free range so they get alot of feed in the wild although i do give them chicken feed if i do it this way i dont have to buy new chicks as fast to replace these

Back
Top Bottom