Young hens drop eggs below the roost bar

Jensride09

Chirping
May 15, 2022
SC
Our new laying hens - we have 3 Rhode Island reds - The first three eggs were great looking and in the nesting box ( yea for supply pre fab coop )

Then I started finding them cracked open underneath their roosting bar - on the floor tray

And some of them barely had any shell at all ??

They are eating and drinking great, look so healthy !!!
they are on a quality layered crumble , they have access to oyster shells but it doesn’t seem that they eat it

Should I be concerned?
Thanks !!!

Do you have fake eggs in the nesting box? Sometimes them seeing eggs in the nesting box helps with nesting behavior. As far as the shell issue, I'm dealing with a similar problem with my new layers. Soft shells, no shells, weird shaped eggs, and the list goes on. New layer craze. Keep giving them what you're giving them and be patient. They're just beginning laying, and until their eggs get to size and their cycles normal, expect the unexpected.

Do you have fake eggs in the nesting box? Sometimes them seeing eggs in the nesting box helps with nesting behavior. As far as the shell issue, I'm dealing with a similar problem with my new layers. Soft shells, no shells, weird shaped eggs, and the list goes on. New layer craze. Keep giving them what you're giving them and be patient. They're just beginning laying, and until their eggs get to size and their cycles normal, expect the unexpected.
I second this. Keep doing what you’re doing and they will straighten themselves out.

Thank you !

The first 3 eggs were great and in the nesting box! I guess beginners luck ! Yes I’ll be patient ! …. I hope they go back to their nesting boxes (I put a golf ball in there! it’s weird they are laying them off the roosting bars . 🤷🏻‍♀️ And yes …..one egg had no shell at all

Thank you !

The first 3 eggs were great and in the nesting box! I guess beginners luck ! Yes I’ll be patient ! …. I hope they go back to their nesting boxes (I put a golf ball in there! it’s weird they are laying them off the roosting bars . 🤷🏻‍♀️ And yes …..one egg had no shell at all
I had a pullet that started laying a few weeks ago and did exactly what you’re describing. She laid 2 good eggs and then laid 2 without shells (while on the roost). Shes back to normal after a week and now using the nesting box since I’ve put golf balls in there. Don’t worry they’ll figure it out!

I had a chicken that didn’t lay many eggs in most of which were when she was roosting. It was almost like they just fell from her like… Oops I forgot. But she seemed happy and healthy otherwise and I think she would’ve thrived if it wasn’t for that fox. I don’t know if they’re off the roosting pole before you check them in the morning but it could be that they’re eating the shell or some of the egg. If they’re eating and drinking normal I personally wouldn’t be too concerned I would just keep an eye and tabs on things as they progress

I have a poop board with pdz in it, so soft like cat litter. Eggs dropped there are fine, so you may want to put a softer landing under the pole if you want those eggs. I often get strange eggs--tiny without a yolk are my favorite. I get the grandkids together to crack open certain eggs--huge ones are often doubles and the kids love finding that. Just wait, they'll get the hang of it. They often learn from older hens but, if you don't have older ones, then just wait. Odd things happen.

Back
Top Bottom