Young hens, pale combs, no eggs. What's wrong?

K R 2709

Chirping
6 Years
May 21, 2013
BC, Canada
I have a flock of heritage breed hens and one rooster. They have finished their molt and they look beautiful but, nobody is laying. There are no mites or lice and I deformed them recently. They are getting a higher protein feed than usual (leftovers from when they were molting) There is a light in the coop. The rooster is the only one with a red comb. The hens all have pinky shades. I have no idea what could be causing this. Any ideas would be great :)
Thanks in advance,
Kyla

I have a flock of heritage breed hens and one rooster. They have finished their molt and they look beautiful but, nobody is laying. There are no mites or lice and I deformed them recently. They are getting a higher protein feed than usual (leftovers from when they were molting) There is a light in the coop. The rooster is the only one with a red comb. The hens all have pinky shades. I have no idea what could be causing this. Any ideas would be great
smile.png

Thanks in advance,
Kyla
Mine are doing exactly the same thing. No eggs in 6 weeks, but just 3 days ago a couple started back laying, so maybe there hope for us. Mine always quit during Oct-November and start back up December.

its a process that all hens go thru were they fist lose pigment by their vent then the eyering then earlobe,beak,bottom of feet,shank,top of toes and then comb and wattle.the chickens do this because their protien/ the pigment is used in making their egg yolks and so every time they lay an egg the pigment in all teh parts that i listed fade and then they stop laying eggs until they gain the pigment/protien back

Back
Top Bottom