Young layer, rubber eggs/egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by us5ryans, Oct 12, 2012.

1. us5ryans

us5ryans New Egg

May 31, 2010
    Looking for suggestions here. A hens life is at stake!
    We have a sex-link red, approx 30 weeks old. Began laying about 30 days ago. She is one of 9 new hens we have that all began laying at the same time. Within the last 3 weeks we've had two "egg messes" in the nesting box (a wet mess which was an egg, entire shell gone). We've also had at least one rubber egg. In the last week, on two occasions we've seen the red eating a soft shell. I'm certain it's her own. The birds have at will access to oyster shells.
    So, question is, how do I fix her? We've dealt with egg eaters in the past, to the point that several were doing it and I had to cull the whole bunch of them. I'm not going to let this get out of control again. I don't want the others to catch on. In my opinion, the easiest fix is to kill her. But I'm open to suggestions. I appreciate any and all insight!

2. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

We cull egg eaters. Period.

3. myersfarms

myersfarms New Egg

Oct 13, 2012
    we had this happen also with one of our chickens. We didn't know what else to do but kill her. But then I did some reading and it said you can pull them from the flock (before the others copy her) for a few days or so and see if she continues when you re-introduce her into the flock or.......................you can put golf balls in the nests to trick them. When they see that pecking at them isn't getting them anywhere, they should stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by